Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tressa Lux "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I am contemplating bidding on one of these 1970's style Tressa Lux autos NOS. The movements are Anton Schild which made a jump hour that was sold through Rolex long ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=2656453565

This company was purchased by Rado. The style of this watch is a familiar Rado look, but new Rados are all quartz. This seller has a bunch of these in different color dials. Unfortunatly, the seller has an all sales are final policy. Has anyone out there ever dealt with this seller before????

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Scott,

I'm no authority on these by any means. I see one really sharp looking watch and several others from this seller as well. No question in my mind as to why you're tempted!

Even though auctions are mentioned, let's copy this thread over to Wrist-Watches in hopes someone with specific knowledge about these might give you better advice.

Great looking watches!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I decided to check this sellers feedbacks and check out some of the other watches he sold. I came accorss this and it is odd. Compare it to the watch on the link above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=2648542924

If you check this watch out, it is a 1970's Wenger, Swiss Army. It has the same exact case, and day and date complication of the Tressa Lux. It just has a different dial. Did Wenger even make Swiss Army watches in the 70's??? Also, I spoke to a Rado dealer, and he said that there may not have been many of these Tressa Lux ever made. This seller seems to have sold lots and lots of new old stock Tressa Lux. I get the feeling that something is not quite right with the seller. I am posting this back in "pitfalls" too since the topic is going that way.

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Scott,

For me, I'd take the chance. I will rarely buy anything I cannot charge on my bank credit card. The watch is really great looking and clearly it exists. If the seller does not deliver you are out nothing because you put it on Pay-Pal anyhow.

Yes they say "All Sales Final" but that goes out the window if they send you a fake or fail to deliver altogether. That only means that if they deliver what they represented, you aren't just playing games, you bought a watch. They don't want "test drivers" they want serious buyers.

To me the watch, the auction, the other items offered and the feedback all look right. There are such things as left-overs and over-runs that are not commonly known by most dealers.

I'll send the seller an eMail and ask them to explain what they're selling right here for you and everyone else to see.

My bet is you are on track to get a really nice watch.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2656453565

Hello,

We're talking about your auctions and the beautiful watches you sell at...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/

The questions from one of our members are clearly posted in our "POCKET WATCHES" section.

You are invited to REGISTER and take part in the discussion or send me an eMail response and I'll post it for you.

Hope to hear from you real soon!

Sincerely,

Lindell V. Riddle, President

--------------------

Question from: southbendpolaris
Title of item: Swiss Automatic Tressa Rado Watch from 70's
Seller: shakro
Starts: Sep-04-03 19:21:39 PDT
Ends: Sep-11-03 19:21:39 PDT
Price: Currently $127.50
To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2656453565

Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at http://www.ebay.com

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Lindell,

Yes, I may just pick one of his watches up, but first he will have to explain why a Wenger Swiss Army from the 1960's that he sold, has the same case, hands, and day and date window as these Tressas. I think this may be just dial swapping.

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Scott,

Haven't heard back yet from the seller. But let's look VERY closely at the watch-cases and the presentation boxes. I'll give you that the hands and day/date windows appear to be the same. They share the same movement. But I see very different cases and the boxes they come in are not at all alike.

Here's the "Tressa Lux" from the auction...

IHC President
Life Member
posted
You and most people looking at this know me. I'm the all-time sceptic, but I see differences in these, Scott. Scroll carefully back and forth. The cases are similar styling, but they are not the same exact case. There are differences.

Be sure to look very closely at the "Swiss Army" version...

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Lindell,
It just struck me funny, but you are absolutely right. I must have looked and posted to quickly. The seller does state that the Swiss Army is a Tressa too and that explains the hands, etc. At this point I'll accept it as a lesson in observation.

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Scott,

I see why you had some doubts, these days you cannot be too careful. As I look at more of the sellers other auctions I see different case styles on the Tressa Lux model. My read is this seller has some really great watches for sale. Did you see that chronograph with the exhibition back? It has a Valjoux 7750 25-Jewel movement and it is beautiful...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=2656522781

You should always be careful, but I bet you'll be back showing off your new watch and telling us what a great buy you got. We'll all be interested in how it turns out.

Lindell

Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Yes, that chrono is sweet. That is a brand that has no dealers in the USA and can be purchased direct from the manufacturer. Here is a link to the site.

http://www.louis-erard.de/eneuhf.htm

Scott Cerullo
cerullo34@aol.com

<Zakaria Mtchedlishvili>
posted
Dear Mr. Riddle,

Thank you for inviting me on your discussion forum and discussing my Tressa Lux watches.

I don't think I can add something else to the description on the ebay sites. All my watches, both current listings and those sold in past are authentic and imported directly from Switzerland. It is still possible to find some very interesting new old stock pieces there, even after ETA has practically monopolized Swiss machanical movement production.

Regarding the questions raised by some participants: the company which owns "Swiss Army" brand has indeed used parts of Tressa and A.Schild movements to produce its own watches which is perfectly legal according to Swiss federal legislation. As a matter of fact, those watches were listed as Swiss Army/Tressa in my ebay listings. I don't think it has to do something with "Wenger", however. My listings do not even mention this brand name.

As to the new watches, they are all brand new and some of them come with one year manufacturer's warranty.

Please feel free to email me would you have more questions.

Sincerely,

Zakaria Mtchedlsihvili

Watch Repair Expert
posted
That's interesting.......

When I first looked at the "Tressa Lux" mentioned above, my initial impression was: "That looks Russian."

As a matter of fact, that's still what I think. I'm not absolutely certain, but that's my opinion.

=======================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002