Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Wrist Watch w/Original Box? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
I am hoping the Hamilton experts here can help me out with this. I have a Hamilton 750 Ladies Wrist Watch,17J, serial number 519740A. It is in a case marked Brenda, Hamilton Watch Co., Lancaster, PA., 14K Gold L&K.

I bought it at a local auction with the box you see in the pic. Can you tell me anything about the watch and does the box appear to be appropriate for this watch? I would like to list this at auction and I don't want to mislead anybody regarding the watch and box and whether they truly belong together. Thanks!

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
2nd pic of box and watch.

Jack

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Movement

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Dial

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jack,

Nice looking watch. Someday collectors will respond to the wake up call and realize there are some really beautiful ladies watches worthy of preservation. Today far too many of the solid-gold cases from ladies watches are scrapped for the gold value due to there being few interested buyers for the watches. That deplorable practice is against everything we as NAWCC Members stand for and my hope is we will all work to end it.

Your "Brenda" with Grade 750 Movement number 519740A is indeed a high-grade 17-Jewel and it was produced in 1952 according to Hamilton factory records. The model named "Brenda" is illustrated in the 1953 Hamilton Catalogue on Page 6 and it is shown with a $71.50 Retail Price. It was available in either Solid "Natural" Yellow-Gold or Solid White-Gold Cases. I'd presume the "L&K" you found refers to a case manufacturer.

The dial as described in the Hamilton Catalogue "18K Gold Numerals on Two-Tone Sterling Silver" is identical to yours. Your watch appears to have the original dial on it. New-Old-Stock Silk Cord bands show up every now and then should you wish to upgrade. The presentation box you have is a nice one and to my eye entirely correct for the early fifties.

Hope at least some of this is of help to you,

Lindell

Wink

Below, "Brenda" as illustrated in the 1953 Hamilton Catalogue...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Lindell,

Thanks for the information. It is a big help! I am in total agreement with you about the issue of gold cases being scrapped for the gold content.

It's really a shame there are so many loose movments out there because somebody saw a way to make a fast buck.

Jack

posted
Over the years, I had acquried a number of solid gold Hamiltons, Bulovas, Gruens, etc. It wasn't that many years ago that one could still pick them up at yard sales for less than a dollar each. I had around 20 of them. I had given about a dozen to the great lady who now refers to me as her ex-husband, and the rest now belong to my daughter. They are not as readily available now, and, of course, cost a bit more.

Tom