Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Baylor wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Hello all, I just acquired a Baylor ww with an AS 1704/05 17J Swiss movement. Can someone please give me the lowdown on this movement? The "AS" is in a "clover" like on an ETA movement.

Thanks, Jim

Posts: 116 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma USA | Registered: February 07, 2007
posted
The "AS" on the movement is for A.Schild a company of Ebauches SA of Switzerland.It is a sister company of ETA and others.

The Baylor watch was a house brand of The Jewel Box Co.a chain of jewelry stores.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Thank you Julian!

Regards, Jim

Wristwatch Expert

posted
I was long under the impression, by collector/dealer Ray "Boomer" Christy, that Baylor was a house brand of the Zales Jewelry Store chain. He puts a Baylor up on his website every so often and cites the Baylor/Zales connection. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
Picture of Jim Robson
posted
Here's some info I got when I googled Baylor Watch.
quote:
Baylor is the name of a watch firm that was and may be still owned by the giant Dallas (Texas)retail jewelry firm of Zales. Heuer made numerous watches for Zales under the Baylor watch name. When Heuer decide to unload most all their mechancial and automatic watches and concentrate on the automatic chronograph Zales purchase the entire stock for pennies on the dollar. This is the story as told to me by one of the former top manager for Zales. Baylor is a American watch company and I would quess that it was named after a Texas University that is located in Dallas.