Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Davida Wristwatch Mystery "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
This was my Dad's first wristwatch. It is a Davida. I have not been able to find any information about it. It is a swiss movement. The case appears to be plated brass. There is no markings other than a serial number in the base.

My mother baked and sold lefse to buy it in the early 1950's. I don't remember what year she bought it but I remember the day he got it under the Christmas tree. It was exciting for all of us just to see Dad's face when he opened it. Dad wore it for many years as his good watch until it stopped running.

Having lived through the depression Mom and Dad saved everything. When I was going through there things when they died I found the watch still in the original box.

Do any of you good people know anything about the Davida Watch? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a better picture of the dial:

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
This is a side view of the movement.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
This is the movement. It is a 17 Jewel, ALB. Grossenbacher, Unadjusted.

posted
Ernie

Christmas is coming - the time to remember

tynnlefke butter brown sugar cinnamon !

I think the people that have gone through the depression are very similiar like the ones who grow up during WWII in Germany like my parents and remember my father straightening nails for second usage; asked if this makes sense he answered "Have you ever lived in times when there was nothing ?" - it made a lot of sense to him.

A nice looking wristwatch and with this history sure ready for clean-up and restore.

"Davida" was a trademark used by Emil Leichter NYC back in the 50's.

The movement was made by Alb(ert) Grossenbacher, Manufacture d'Horlogerie, Grenchen, Swiss; I think a small swiss firm; they made movements or wristwatches for the US Army too.

Is there a small three letter code on the balance cock ?

Regards,
Gerald

A nice looking wristwatch

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Gerald, thank you. Yes the three letters are LOE.

My Dad used to straighten nails too. I am not sure it did him much good as me and the 2 neighbor boys pounded them all into a beautiful maple log their Dad was saving for a chopping block. He used to clean game on it when he came back from hunting. We could not get anymore nails into the one end so we flipped the block over and completely filled the other end too. Then we stated on the sides. We used up every nail we could find between the two homes. I sure wish I had that block today, just for a keepsake.

My mother-in-law who just died this spring at 96 always saved wrapping paper from Christmas presents. She made sure we all carefully opened the presents so we didn't tear the paper or wrinkle it more.

posted
Ernie

The positive of the behavior of our parents was that they could make everything from scrap: My dad had a ca, 6 inch telescope lens hand grinded from a massive glas block. I can hardly imagine how many hours he spent working on that! I keep this under a glas dome as a sign never to give up

The import mark LOE was used by or with Delbana, Hydepark, Emil Leichter, Packard and Enicar; I think this list mixes importers and brands and Emil Leichter was the importer.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Gerald:

Your the man, thank you ever so much for the information. I appreciate it.

Now, to get the watch restored.

Have a very Merry and Bright Christmas!

posted
If you can show dial side of movement I can identify the actual Swiss factory of manufacture of the movement. That is my business. Also the size of movement. There may be a factory symbol under the balance. You will need this info. if you have to order parts. The aforementioned names are importes or exportes but not factories. At initial look the movement looks like AS 970.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
William: Being a total novice at wristwatches and swiss movements I can't figure out how to remove the dial. I see where the feet come through the movement but I don't see how it is fastened. I don't see any screws etc to loosen. Does the dial just lift off with some light prying?

posted
For God's sake, Ernie, do not try to pry up the dial in order to remove it. This operation is the main cause of much of the dial damage we see way too often. Your watch dial ( like the great majority of Swiss watches ) is held in place by two pins, about 180° from each other and protruding through the dial plate. The pins have a notch where a special "D skirted" screw will engage.

In your watch the two dial securing screws are located as follows: one at about the bottom of the picture and the other in a "C" cut of the center wheel bridge, opposite from the first one. To remove the dial (after carefully removing the hands) you have to turn the two locking screws in order for the flat side of the "D" skirt to line up with the dial pin, therefore unlocking it. Only after you have done this you can slowly and carefully separate the dial from the movement.

Hope this was of some help.
Regards
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Hi Peter: Thank you! I have not done anything in trying to remove the dial. I think I will oleave that to someone who knows what they are doing.

I remove dials on my pocket watches to clean them. But this Davida is really different. It was my fathers so I really don't want to harm it. Now I need to find someone who is knowledable to restore it.