Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pawn Shop Discovery "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
It gets so old...visiting pawn shops, flea markets, garage sales, etc. 98% of the time I find nothing. Then....this happens. I visited a local pawn shop instead of eating lunch, and he had a very curious item he called a "Hamilton Bird". It was so fortunate that I was wearing brown pants! About 260 of these were made in 14K yellow Gold. It is part of the "explorer series" that Hamilton did, just after buying the Illinois Watch Co. They bought Illinois in part because they needed their rectangular movement. The 401 is the most rare of all the Hamilton Movements, and this Hamilton Byrd is among the most rare of all Hamiltons. I thought the Hamilton & wrist watch fans would enjoy this one. All the Best

BTW: I failed to mention RR, who provided the information for this post. Smile

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
Doc, did you know what it was Before you bought it? Confused Wink

Mike Nardick
NAWCC # 144409
IHC 185 Charter Member 26
Allegheny Chapter 37
mikena32@comcast.net

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I knew it was a rare one, but I didn't know which one, or how rare. THe 401 movement got me really excited, and the fact that it was gold and big made me think that it really was a byrd. I didn't have access to the internet. If I did I would have looked at the following site: www.vintagehamilton.com This is the site of a great Hamilton Collector, Mark C.

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Dr, Hansen,

Thats a great find! Thanks for providing the Vintage Hamilton link, great images! I was pleased to find a link to the museum and sales pages of the modern-day Hamilton Watch Company as well...

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/

Anyone wanting a rugged, reliable and super-cool retro-design or an up-to-the-minute new style need look no further. Hamilton will always be a great watch.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Yes, thank you for the Hamilton link. They have an online order form for their catalog, which I just filled out. I can't see their models to well on this laptop screen, so may as well get a paper copy. (grins) Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002