Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Wristies "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Lindell,
I attached the link to the Ball Trainmaster you sold. I'm curious about the available dials Ball provided for this watch and the 21J manual. Are they all considered correct?
Mike

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426021842/m/5871045381

Posts: 72 | Location: Benicia, California USA | Registered: May 10, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Mike,

There may be others who have studied this more intently and additional input is always worthwhile, but I'll share my understanding with you for whatever it might be worth.

Your basic question is about the 24-hour dial shown on the auction example you linked. That dial is the only one I am certain is an entirely correct 24-hour version for the 25-Jewel Trainmaster. Apparently there were only two dials originally available, a 12-hour and a 24-hour. Those are what we find on known to be correct, original watches and are the only ones we have been able to fully authenticate at this time. Frankly, with the propensity many have for refinishing wristwatch dials we as serious collectors have every reason to exercise caution when it comes to considering originality and authenticity.

No offense intended, but I would question the dial shown on the left in your image above this message on several levels. You will note considerable differences in the numerals, for example the "4" hour number is unlike those we are familiar with. Add to that the design of the other hour numerals, the spacing and style of minute markers and the "circles" at each 5-minutes rather than the predominant black dots we find on the known to be correct dials. Finally, the confusing use of both 23 and 13 within the signature and the lack of number 24 in the design also contribute to doubts.

The 24-hour dials known to be correct for the 25-Jewel Automatic have a full set of numerals and "Official Standard" in the lower portion of the dial as shown at the right in the image below.

Lindell

Known to be correct, original 25-Jewel Trainmaster dials...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Thanks Lindell, Very educating as usual.
No offense taken as I am willing to learn and understand what can transpire when items change hands over years.
Gaining this knowledge helps prevent me from making simular mistakes in the future. The watches are in great condition and I enjoy wearing both of them. Most my wrist watches are purchased to wear and enjoy.
Thanks again, happy to learn,
Mike

Mike

Posts: 72 | Location: Benicia, California USA | Registered: May 10, 2006