• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Older Hamilton WW's "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here are a couple of older Hamiltons. A plain cushion and a cushion form engraved. The plain cushion has the 986A movement and is in the first 15=16K of the 90K plus produced. 10K green gold filled case. It was listed as ygf, but I was dubious of that, since there were less than 10 in ygf produced and it would be extremely unlikely that one of those would show up. No doubt the dial has been refinished and the hands aren't original.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's the 986A movement

posted
Here's the other one. 14K wgf, dial is in need of a good refinish and I think the hands are replacements.

posted
Crown side of the case showing the engraving.

posted
Here's the movement, a 987

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Nice watches John i like the dial on wgf one ,,very nice.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Hey John,

Despite appearances, your 10K gold filled Cushion actually dates from the 1940s. There are some notes in the Hamilton records indicating that the 10K gold filled Cushion was produced from around 1940 to 1949 using 986 series movements, by then obsolete in the consumer line. The original version of the "Cushion" model was 14K gold filled rather than 10K gold filled, and produced in the 1920s.

The precise reason for producing these 10K Cushion models with 20-year-old movements is unknown, but perhaps it was a way to sell the obsolete movements, or to circumvent wartime restrictions on consumer watch production... it is defintely an area ripe for further research.

I've seen these with both 986 and 986A movements, as well as 987 movements. The case hallmarks (Wadsworth) are more consisent with the watches produced in the 1930s and 1940s, rather than the 1920s watches.

Another subtle difference is that the case shape is more like the 1930s "Cushion B" with short lugs, rather than the original "Cushion" case with long lugs.

I've seen some of them with luminous dials, but most have black enamel painted numerals with blued steel hands, usually without sub-seconds, but sometimes with seconds at 9 o'clock.

I seem to recall seeing one in white, but every other one I've seen has been yellow. I have not seen any green ones. There are also some notations in the records that some of the cases are vermeil, that is yellow gold fill over a base of silver... perhaps due to wartime critical metals shortages.

The records suggest that around 1200 to 1500 of these watches were produced, I'll check to see if I can narrow that down to a more accurate number for you.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
posted
Thanks for the information. I used Rondeau's book for my source and it doesn't have an illustration of the Cushion B. The case is indeed a Wadsworth 10K gf. I did not see an indication in Rondeau's book of the gold content in the gold-filled models, but I was a puzzled by the 10k marks. It is difficult sometimes for me to distinguish between green gold and yellow gold, but I thought this one has a greenish tinge.