Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen curvex which one is this "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have a question on this gruen watch it is a 17 jewel Gruen curvex the case measures 47-48 mm from the end of one lug to the other, both movement and case are curved..

I dont know much about wristwstches and plan on selling it knowing which one or style it is will help me in posting it up..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
case

posted
Samie,
it looks like it could possibly be a Cal. 330. If you look real close at the movement you should see the caliber number marked. What does the dial look like ?

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Dave i dont see cal. # on the movement it is marked curvex and also marked precision..the 14k gold filles case is marked gruen with the serial# of the case also 330-308.
here is a picture of the dial the other gruen is a big one marked gruen verthin

posted
Samie,
I think from your description of the serial number on the case of the Curvex ( 330-308 ) it's a pretty fair assumption the movement in yours is a Cal. 330.

Here's a picture of White GF Curvex I own which is similar is style to yours.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks dave do you think this is the original dial ..i noticed the ones pictured in the price guide have curvex on the dial...

posted
I've owned mine for ten years or so, I think the dial on mine may have been refinished at some time in the past. I have other curvexes with original dials , and they have SWITZERLAND at the bottom.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Dave that is a beautiful watch ..i wound the one i have and to my suprise it took off running..The repair tag haging on the watch shows it was never picked up at the jewlery shop in 1961..I keep finding more watches ever day as i open these boxes ,,just like christmas for me..

posted
Samie,
maybe you'll be posting some of these in the FOR SALE forum ?? Eek

Here's a couple of all original Gruen Verti-Thins from around 1943/44. I believe WWII pilots were using Gruens like these with the 24 hour dial markings.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks dave for the information..when i saw the 24 hour dial i thought maybe canada ,,i had not thought about the military .i found a box marked gueniue gruen parts and in the box were some new hands like on the watches you have pictured ...i have never collected or traded in wrist watches but seeing yours make me want to start..

The square one i have with the 24 hour dial do you think it would date to world war 2 i belive it is a cal. 425

posted
Samie,
yes I think your Gruen with the 24 hour dial probably dates back to the same period. It would be a pretty nice watch if it was restored.

Are we in danger of making you a convert to wristwatches ????? Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Dave i have wristwatches offered to me quite often and pass on them mainly beacuse i know very little about them..I need to learn more about them ,,these railroad watches are getting very hard to find that you can make any money on..

Who knows i may move over to the gray ((WRISTWATCH AREA)))) Big Grin Wink

posted
There were a few 21 jewel Gruen movements actually made in the US.Yours might be one.It would not have Switzerland on the dial.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003