• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Girard perregaux Id "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've had this perregaux for about 4 years. The sec hand would work but the hour/min would not.
We'll I found myself "grounded" with a back injury/pain so I picked up some of my old projects.
When I first got the watch I did some "digging" to id or date the watch. On the net girard made enough styles,it was fruitless. I knew then that when I took it apart the inside numbers would shed light on it.
I was wrong... I searched on Google and the bay. Best I could do was mid 60's or late 70's. Could have guessed that on my own.
Thought I'd give our group a try..
Inside case: 2760
G/P
B-2173
Movement: girard perregaux

Posts: 112 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Darren,
I use this site for watches of that nature frequently.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/b...cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk

Maybe you can narrow it down there.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Thanks, great site however, didn't see my movement. Did see a few that had the same guilded color as mine that dated from the late 50s to early 60s. Didn't think it could be that old by the condition. It does have that timeless style like the calatrava.

Also the balance cock has the letters: GXM

posted
Hi Darren

GXM is the tree letter import code used to import swiss watches to the states (GXM = G/P). Those codes were un use since the later 30's and faded out of use in the late 60's. Another hint to the vintage of your watch.

2760 should be the reference number and 8-2173 the model.

if you search the internet for Girard Perregaux 150105 you will find one example that was recently sold in the bay. This automatic movement was a 'mount on' automatik using an existing base-plate. I think it was not in use a very long time and substituted by the 'gyromax' movement.

Pictures of the watch might be helpful.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Case

posted
Movement. Sorry bout quality. Did my best getting the shots with my back pain.

posted
Been chipping away at it. Thank you Gerald. Didn't know that they stopped using the three letter code. That puts the ball park 'round the 50s-60s.
They must not have used the automatic much compared to the gyromatic because the gyro is the majority of what you find when you search their automatics.
Does anyone have an idea the yearly output of this co around time this was made? Doesn't seem like it could be much or there would be more examples or info on their watches.
I've taken the dial off to check the motion works. The hands were not moving because the cannon pinion is loose. I've read online that this can a problem with day/date watches because you have to go from 22h-24h back and forth to set the date. I think that I'll have to find a way to "tighten" the cannon pinion or get another.
One thing I like about this movement is the fit/finish. Most of the steel parts are mirror polished (even the cannon pinion is brightly polished. Most of the watches I've worked on before (from Elgins-bulovas) don't seen to have the quality this one has.

posted
After I posted this thread, I got the idea to see what the company had to offer in the way of information. Went the site to "contact", and whipped out me electronic quill and ink then composed an eloquent e-correspondence(rivaling the word art of Dickens)detailing my humble and meager request.
In a timely manner I recieved an email with instructions on the acquisition of the info. This is I found.....
Research is carried out by an expert in watchmaking and is priced at 200 CHF, payable in advance. Requests can only be submitted through the Girard-Perregaux website. A message will be sent to you, detailing the process of how to compile the necessary information, as well as payment terms.
Not being familiar with exchange rates, I'm guessing CHF's were like a penny or mabe a dime tops. WRONG. More like a buck, something.
Hey, I wanted to get info not pay for the watch again.

posted
Hey Darren

That's the problem with those big ..X Mad

A better work-around would be to contact one of our IHC certified watchmakers.
I do not know what he will charge, but he will pay with a proper repaired and cleaned watch.

Dont fiddle around with a nice and expensive watch, there are a lot of inexpensive watches and/or movements around to make mistakes twice and be satisfied at the end.
As my father said: 'you have to exercise with cheap stuff and my use a big hammer at the end' Smile

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Good looking watch!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Your right Gerald. I have other projects ( it seems like all of them are) that I can tackle. Ones that are not as difficult to find info or parts for. Just got to get the money up to have it done.
Thanks Evan. I usually collect older watches ('25 and earlier) but the last few years Ive gotten a few "newer" watches that have timeless styles or unique features. I plan on keeping this one. The others are: omega seamaster deville(similar in style as the GP), bulova 214;218, bulova berkshire, late '50s gruen 422-ss ( I can't find much info on like the GP), '41 Hamilton Lexington, and my favorite a '37 Hamilton Watson.
I love the porcelain dial watches but these were unique enough to find a spot on my wrist.