• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines 11.88 Extra Quality Movement Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Does anyone have any information on this movement? I have had several Longines with the 11.88 movements. I purchased one yesterday that has the 11.88 movement marked Extra Quality. Instead of being 17 jewel, it is a 15 jewel and it is marked 3 adjustments rather than adjusted to temperature and 2 positions.

Any information is appreciated.

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
What's up, Adam!
I have been looking around for 11.88 parts also. From the little reading that I have done, 11.88 first came out 1905 and it seems there were quite few variations of the base movement. I saw one with a 17 jewel movement ( adj to temp and 2 positions) as well as a 15 jewel type ( the one that I am trying to restor is the 15 jewel model without any adjustment done, made in 1926 ). It is rather odd that your Extra quality model is with a 15 jewel movement... What's the serial number?
Best Regards,

Posts: 31 | Location: Panama City, Florida USA | Registered: November 18, 2005
posted
Naoki,

Thanks for the reply. I also found it odd that the extra quality movement had 2 less jewels and the same adjustments. The serial number is 4967656

Adam

posted
Here are some pictures of the watch. I also though the case was odd, as most of the 11.88 watches I have had small Cushion type cases. This appears to be all original though, as there is a slot cut out in the case for the movement.

posted
Case back with slot cut out above the stem. No need for the screww to hold the movement in.

posted
Movement picture. Dial was originally signed Longines as it is barely visible on it still. Case is marked Wittnauer. On the dial side of the movement it is stamped both Longines & Wittnauer. Watch needs some help, but I think it wil be worth it by the time I am done with it!

Adam

posted
Hello, Adam!
Great pictures of your precious watch!
From your serial number it can be deducted that it was made in 1928. I think also that it is well worth repairing it. Mine was made only 2 years ealier but the dial and hands design seems to be identical. The case was made by Wadsworth. However, it contains 2 sets of numbers. I am informed that the second number could be a movement number. ( I saw another one with 11.88 written under the case number as well...)
All the best,

posted
Naoki,

Thank you for the information! It is appreciated. If at all possible, could you post a couple pictures of your watch? I will post some of mine when I get it repaired as well. It will probably be awhile though.

Adam

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Adam,
That's going to make one handsome watch! I really like it, so please post pictures when you do finish it, even if it is a while before it's done.

Great Find!

Naoki, thank you for the great information.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Hello Adam and Sheila,
I would like to...but I happen to still live in the Ice Age without any working knowledge of a digital camera nor the ability to post any pictures at this forum. Perhaps this Christmas I shall be finally delivered from this predicament!
By the way, as for my movement unlike yours, there is one bridge for both 3rd and 4th wheels and the case has a beautiful engraving at the side.
Best regards