Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Home made opener for oversized WW case back "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
Home made opener for oversized WW case back

What does a guy do when he does not have an opener big enough to fit a modern watch with 1-17/32 across the pins on the case back?

Make his own of course.

This worked better than I could have wished for. The coolest part is that the board sits flush on the bench so I could focus on pressing down while I rotated, keeping the watch seated in the pins, minimizing the risk of scratching the back.

Far easier than trying to manage a case opening wrench in one hand and the case in the other.

I simply borrowed the replacement bits from another "adjustable" opener, measured the spread in two directions for a 4 point purchase on the case back... drilled the holes and plugged them in.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Now that's using your noodle! I have a couple invictas that are in the same boat..

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Paul I use one of those
http://www.microbattery.com/Ad...ch-Case-Back-remover

[Adjustable Waterproof Watch Case Back remover]

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Peter,

I gave up on two pin case openers two years ago when I ruined a case with one.

They are just too awkward for me to manage and far too risky.

I do use my two way adjustable three pin spanner and have a nice selection of purpose built multi-pin case wrenches that fit most watches... but none were large enough to fit this case.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012