• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Oyster?" "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
First of all, I'd like to say that I have no dillusions about this being a Rolex...

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
For one thing, the case isn't exactly fine quality.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
But I like the movement, and I wonder if anyone can tell me what it is.

posted
Steve

I will stand corrected by others far more knowledgable than myself but I would say that the movement is by the Oyster watch company which was connected to Rolex in as much as Hans Wilsdorf, the guy who set up Rolex, registered the name of Oyster in something like 1926 (working from memory.)

I guess that once the name was registered no one else could legitimately use it.

My understanding is that Rolex (Oyster) bought movements in at the time and just put their name on them.

You will probably be able to trace the movement as a standard ebache.

In his celebrated book on Rolex the author James Dowling shows an Oyster and attributes it to Rolex in the way I've described.

I can't vouch for the case though, the ones that I've seen have "oyster watch co" on the back.

Just my thoughts for what its worth what do others think?

Kind Regards

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
Thanks Clive. I had no idea.

Steve

posted
Steve,

The Oyster is probably a Rolex. I have two legacy watches. One is an "Oyster Essex. The other is a Rolex "Oyster Royalite". Both have an unusual stem and crown arrangement. Both are from the 30s to early 40s. I wore the Oyster Essex for ten years. It's been serviced but it's really tired. The Rolex has been restored and is in good shape.

Oyster was probably purchase by Rolex.

When I figure out how to take pictures of watches I'll post them to the sight.

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Thanks Robert. I am now more impressed with my watch. I had thought it must be a phoney!

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
My Dad's 15j 1943 'Lipton Oyster' came with a screw down crown, but otherwise there is nothing to indicate it's a Rolex either....until you pull the dial. It's marked there. Have you looked under the dial?

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
No, I haven't, and I'm not going to. I'm going to take your word for it, give it to my wife for Valentines day, and tell her it's a Rolex.
It does not have a screw down crown, however. I'm just going to run with it!

Steve

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
LOL! Works for me! Big Grin

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
I think this is not a genuine "Oyster" at all, though it certainly looks old enough to be one. The Oyster Watch Co. was a nomiker that Rolex used for certain types of watches in certain markets (e.g. Canada, "boy's sized" watches), and was always marked inside the case back. It wouldn't say Oyster unless it truly was an Oyster (with screw down crown and case back). These usually had cal. 59 movements.

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
Well then this is a phoney. Still an interesting specimen, I think. Thanks much, Adam!