Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton WW "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi,

I have just finished restoring this watch I took a fancy to it but know nothing about it other than what I see. Cant find this exact one in Shuart, maybe I should stick with pocket watches they are easier!.

The case I love, stamped Clark Hamilton Co, movement is a 19J 953, dial beautiful condition as is the movement the photographs are a little poor.
Is it anything out of the ordinary or just a nice watch, any idea of value?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Hello, Chris.

Looks like a Hamilton "CLARK!" to me. (Watch case).

There are many "Hamilton" collectors on this board, I am sure they will give you the information you require.

I agree with you super little timepiece!

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Roy,

I went through the book again last night and found the "Hamilton Clark (as stamped inside the case) 17-18J" shown in that example with a metal strap, my movement is a 19J 953.
Is it the case that carries the identity of the watch and not the watch itself, I suppose I was expecting the see the name Clark on the dial or movement, therefore the case is the most important with these wrist watches?

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Chris,

Wristwatches are named according to the style of the case, rather than the movement grade as with most pocket watches.

For a short time in the 1950s, Hamilton stamped the name of the case style inside the caseback.

The Shugart book is in error if it says the Clark came with either 17 or 18 jewels. The Clark only came with the 12/0 size movement, which contained either 17 or 19 jewels depending on which variety it was (grades 752, 753, and 754).

There is not a 12/0 size movement with 18 jewels.

It could have also come with the 12/0 size grade 770 movement with 22 jewels.

If you'll look closely at the movement in your watch, you'll see it actually marked "753" instead of "953."

The Clark is one of the scarcer models from the 1950s and is fairly desirable because of its large pointed lugs.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the great explanation, that clears up a number of questions and why I couldn’t pin it down
with a typo in Shugart and a 9 instead of a 7, wasn’t getting to far!.
I thought it was a interesting looking watch a little out of the ordinary with the pointed cases style that lead me to restore it is the book price a good guide or has the market exceeded this?.
I also repaired a nice tank style Elgin just a basic 17J Delux that the wife took a fancy to, these styles/sizes make ideal current day, ladies watches I find.

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Hey Chris,

The values shown for the Clark in the Shugart guide are pretty accurate. There have been a number of them on eBay that have sold in that range during the past 6 months or so.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Bryan,

That helps a lot, I can put this one away now and move onto my next one.
Chris.