Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen-Curvex Signature Right Above Seconds? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Just curious about a watch that has Gruen and right under it it says Precision. The Curvex is above the seconds. Did Gruen Curvex's have the dials like this? Also any idea on history or value? Advice appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Mine does. I believe most of the information you're looking for is there as well.

Mark's Curvex post

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
And here's one of mine...

As noted to Mark in my answer to his concurrent green board post, the "reversed signature" is fairly common on early 311 models, very rarely shows up on 330 or 440 versions, and is occasionally seen on 370s. I've currently got 4 or 5 like this, in all of the grades.

Just wanted to share the info here for those who don't frequent both boards.

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Thanks for the pic. Looks like I am going to have to find those hands. COuld you give me an idea on its value? Thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Cary,
Do the pierced hands show up on the Gruens frequently?

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Tony,

This style of hands (Gruen called them "Breguet", others call them "moon") were used along with the more common leaf style hands on the early long and narrow 311 and 330 models. I don't think I've ever seen a 440 or 370 that had this style originally.

Of course, the hand holes are the same size for all four movements, as well as several non-Curvex calibers, so there is plenty of switching and swapping that goes on.

Mark,

I've paid less than a hundred dollars for several long old Curvexes, up to the low three hundreds. I can also direct you to internet dealers who ask over a thousand for a watch like this. As with everything, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. I buy what I like and sell my extras to finance new ones, so my ideas of "value" might be a bit stilted. Watch eBay for ideas of what current market prices are.

For what it's worth,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005