• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is the last in the series of watches that I recently received. Once again, I don't really know anything about it other than it is a Bulova. The usual questions apply here: Year? Style? Good? Bad? Otherwise? Worth cleaning up and keeping? Any and all information is much appreciated.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Picture Number 2

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Number 3. Sorry about the quality. I need a little more work on my close up shots.

posted
And the last. Any info at all is much appreciated.
Thanks!

posted
Ed,
this is what's called a cocktail watch. Most likely from the 50's/60's.
If it has sentimental value, then keep it.
If not, I'd leave it since it has little value.(Sorry but that's the truth )

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Hi Cool Ed,

L4 on the case back and movement = 1954. Decent dial and hands but appears to have brassing on the front of the case. For that reason, I personally would do nothing more to the watch except clean up the case and hand polish. I wouldn't recommend that you pay for this service, I would encourage you to do it. Even a quick case clean up and polish might yield no significant improvement but it would be good practice for you if you are new to watches.

I know nothing with respect to model name or if there was one. Value . . . hmmm, I won't go there. However, if you can sell it for what you paid, then that is an option for you. You can also check the completed auctions on ebay for actual selling prices. Many of us have paid too much for a watch (any watch) at some point, including yours truly. Wink A bad buy can be a good lesson in becoming proficient in learning and knowing the value of watches intended for purchase. No one ever stubs a toe sitting on the sofa. We learn by doing and we learn from our mistakes, hoping not to make the same ones twice.

Sometimes the watch bands with these vintage timepieces are more valuable than the watch itself. A rare band or strap can be a saving grace in off-setting a bad purchase. Can you post a photo of the watchband?

As it stands today, it's been my experience that the majority of ladies vintage cocktail watches do not carry or hold much value in the area of collecting and selling. Very few people seem interested in them. Complaints range from the dials are too hard to read to tiny movements and parts that are difficult to work on. Even with diamonds and other exotic features, these are still hard to market to a limited audience.

Nothing is forever and this could change as it did with ephemera and other related items that had no value. These items were meant to be tossed into the trash when their purpose was served (post cards, matchbooks, etc). One never knows what new "collectible" will be en vogue.

Hope this helps, Ed. Good luck. Smile

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
12-size pocketwatches, dollar watches and standard ladies wristwatches used to have little or no interest. But that has changed. It is possible that cocktail watches might prove to be another collectible niche in the future. One could certainly get some representative examples for a song right now. It also depends on whether you collect on speculation or personal interest. If the former you are taking chances; if the latter you can't lose at these prices.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Probably the best thing about this watch is that, along with the Valencia and Hamilton that I listed as previous topics, I received this watch in a box from my grandfathers estate. Financial investment on my end is, fortunately, zippo. As for the watch band, I can get a picture of it, but unfortunately, starting the 27th, I will be away from anything computer related until the 1st or 2nd of Feb., so it will be a few days until I can get it up. In the end, I'm sure that, for purely sentimental reasons if no other, I will end up keeping this one and the others. And hey, I am thouroughly enjoying everything that I'm learning about, so that's a huge bonus Smile
Thanks for everything so far. I will probably get the pic of the band up on Feb.1, so bear with me.
Thanks again! Big Grin