Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Captain Rice saved from the scrapper "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is a hard to find Hamilton Captain rice these sold for 150.00 in 1930 .and is a big watch with a 3 star rating in the price guide..

I got a call from a guy who runs a junkstore here in Monticello wanting to know if i was interested in buying a gold Hamilton watch ,I went and took a look and frist passed on it after i got back home and looked it up in my hamilton book i thought hey i better buy this one..I went back the next morning and was told he had sent it to the guy for gold scarp..I was able to get to the watch before it was scraped and bought it for a few dollars above melt Value..

I have serviced the movement but still have to clean up the dirty case and maybe have the dial redone only if i decide to keep it//

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Inside the 14kt case

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
high grade 19 jewel 979-f movement

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Tough watch to find... I bought one last year and paid a lot more than what you paid and felt fortunate to get mine.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Samie,
Great find. Keep us posted on the watch and your plans for this uncommon watch. Smile
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Good for you Samie!

Beautiful movement, looks to be in fine condition.

Each of us would probably be wise to leave our name and number with those who are buying up gold in our locale. Perhaps that is the kind of active intervention it will take to at least save some of the better examples.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks Lindell and Tony i think i will send the case to Leon for some detail work on the case and have the dial refinshied before i sale it..I have had a nice offer for thhe watch as is but i think this would be a good one to do a full restoration on.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Good move Samie, you can do the movement, Leon works his magic on the case and most likely International Dial will have the original dies to properly restore the dial.

We will be looking forward to seeing the progress in this topic!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
I wonder if this might be an enamel-printed dial? Bryan, do you know?

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Yes, it is an enamel printed dial. I have been looking for this dial or the applied gold numeral version... if anyone out there has one, please contact me. Thanks.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
The watch looks a little better now,,i do need too replace the alligator band it came off a old display from the 50,s after i wore the watch a few days it,s starting too come apart..

Thanks too Leon for repairing some bad places in the case back.
International dial refinshied the dial.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
another pic.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
back

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Very nice!

Well done Samie.

A fine timepiece fo anyones collection!

Roy.

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
I agree excellent.

I just bet there are a few people out there wondering how much you are selling it for, unless of course you've decided to keep it yourself given that it looks so good.

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
Wow ..... What a fabulous transformation!
Well done.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Clive don,t know yet if i will sale it ,,I would love too keep all the watches i buy but i can,t do so...I guess what i like best about the watch is the size it,s one of the largest of the Hamilton tank styles ever made. Smile

posted
Samie

I'm the same.

I find it really hard to part with stuff especially if I've spent ages restoring it.

It is a good to keep it for a while and then only part with it when you have to.

I find what makes me part with items is being offered something that I cant resist and having to finance it!

That way you have something to replace what you had but I have to say that I've regretted it a few times.

As a matter of interest what size is it?

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007