Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Spur, circa 1930 "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
I had the good fortune to acquire this early Hamilton enamel bezel men's wristwatch last week from the grandson of the original owner.

It is the "Spur" model in solid 14K yellow gold, circa 1930.

The nice gentleman from whom I acquired the watch told me that his grandfather bought the watch in 1930 and wore it through the 1970s. Costing $125.00 in 1930, it was extraordinarily expensive for the Great Depression, but seeing as it lasted him more than 40 years, he certainly got his money's worth.

He was evidently very careful with the watch, as it still retains a brushed finish on the caseback, the swirling fins, and the exposed metal surfaces of the bezel. The black enamel is perfect, as well.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
posted
Careful?

that is an understatement!

Just that the enameling survived.... Eek

IHC Life Member
posted
My inflation calculator says the original $125 price in 1930 is equal to $1350 in 2005 - so yes, indeed an expensive purchase for the time.

Dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Very. very nice!

When you see a beauty like this, this is what collecting wrist watches is all about!

Enjoy, Bryan.

Timely regards.

Roy.

"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
The 1927 Hamilton catalog seems to have been its first appearance ---

Dan

Spur

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Bryan:

Wow! That's a great looking watch you have there. It is the perfect mate for your white Spur.

Come to think of it, I don't think its reasonable for one person to own two Spurs - it just seems to me that there is something inherently unfair about this whole situation!

Wear it in health,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Alas, my "Spur" collection is incomplete, and hence my life is unfulfilled... to this point, at least. I'm plagued by rumors of a platinum example somewhere. Perhaps it will find its way to me someday.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004