• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Airport travel bringing old wristwatch-Advice "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would appreciate any brief advice from my our IHC members. I enjoy wearing the vintage wristwatches that I collect from the 1920s-1930s. However I am concerned about taking these on an upcoming airplane trip-vacation. Is magnetizing an issue(xray machines)?? What do other members do?? ( not take a chance on bringing their old wristwatches to an airport). Your advice would be appreciated. Richard Schwalberg

Posts: 6 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: March 23, 2005
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
I don't know -- I've brought a few '20s-'50s watches through airport security without incident. I never really thought about it at the time. Most of the time I travel with my modern watches (usually one of two Tudors), which are of course more robust.

Adam

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
posted
Richard,

I've traveled extensively, both internationally and domestically, and almost always have a few old wristwatches with me in my carry-on. One never knows where a trading opportunity might present itself.

I generally wear my old manual wind Rolex Speedking, which has proven to be just about bulletproof on four continents and in all seasons.

Other than having to explain to some TSA people, I've had no problems, and noticed no ill effects from magnetization (not sure where that might come from) or from x-rays.

For what it's worth,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I agree with Cary. I've worn my 1943 Lipton/Rolex and my 1950 Bulova through the security checks/x-ray with no problems at all.

Most recently I carried my 992B through on a flight to Wyoming. Considering it's constructed to resist magnetism, I guess that doesn't really count, does it? Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
You may want to be careful wearing a watch with a Radion painted dial. It may trigger some of the more sensitive detectors. http://www.atomic-elements.info/radium_radion_data.htm

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005