Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Omega Seamaster "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Bought this recently, no experience with Omega at all, running , keeps good time.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Great watch you will not be disappointed

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Omega automatics (550 series movements) are my favorite wristwatches, some of the best automatic ever produced. But be advised that the cost of the spare parts are very high and if you wish to acquire a quantity of these you would be well advised to stock up on some pars and parts movements when you can buy them reasonably.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
Omega is made better them rolex IMHO that breaks a lot
I had few omegas and not one issue.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I think this a grade 590, 20 jewel. Bought from an eBay seller in Bogata, Columbia, so far I'm pleased with it, but as I said I have no experience with Omegas.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1736
posted
A friend of the family sent this Omega Automatic Seamaster 550 serial number 18568087... not running.

I floated around the internet for an hour to figure out how to remove the stem and lift the movement from the case. But the links to manuals don't get me beyond owners operating manuals.

It fired right up when I corrected an over-banked condition and has kept correct time for 24hrs on the bench.

Can anyone quote me on a COA? Or sell me a shop manual so I can go for it?

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
I've done quite a few Hamilton and Illinois 6/0 and 18/0 watches... so I'm not especially concerned about the size... I just don't know if I want to risk figuring out how it comes apart and goes back together on one this nice.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Movement2

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Drop Chris Abell a line.

Chris Abell, Certified Watchmaker Taking Work

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I'll second that.

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014
IHC Member 1016
posted
Out of curiosity, what does a vintage Omega with a 550 movement sell for? (Ballpark) I believe there is one is a shop here in town but the case is trashed.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
its hard to find good case as those are 12,5 ligne size

IHC Member 1736
posted
Mike,

They are all over the place. The 550 was used to power a bunch of different product lines and styles.

I've found them 17j unadjusted, adj2p and adj3p... in anything from Stainless cases to solid 14K...

This one was adj2p solid 14K case... I figure it would retail above $1200 serviced and polished out with a new crystal... closer to $700 as is.

But, I've seen them close for as little as $125 for the unadjusted model in a RGP case.

Every bit of this is an on the fly educated guess... I am in uncharted waters, well outside my swim lane.