Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lord Elgin, 30 Jewels??? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi!
With a little help from this picture, can anybody tell me anything about this watch, what kind of movement do you think it is, is it a collectible one, and so on! To me 30 jewels sounds little strange.
Best regards!
Bernhard

Bernhard Schmidt

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Bernhard,
Sounds a little funny to me too.
I will give you 30.00USD for it. But incase you decide to keep it this might help. Of course it is only worth what one is willing to pay

This May Help

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Bernhard,
around the same time period, BULOVA had a couple of 30 Jewelled models. One was called "THE AMBASSADOR".

Incidentally, I'll up Jim's offer if you don't want it. I'll go $32.50 Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wow!

From Jim's link I'd say you have a TRUE WINNER there Berndard!

Congratulations! (I'll go $33.00) oh yeah.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Hey look guys I answered the question first and did hours of research. This is no way to try and undercut a brother collector.
NOW, this is my top offer $37.50, and seeing I am a good guy and have the Xmas spirit I will pay for the shipping, LOL

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The First Annual Tongue-Firmly-Planted-In-The-Cheek Auction continues...

Where will it stop? Nobody knows!

Big Grin Eek Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I knew that the 30J Elgin movements were Swiss made, but I found it interesting that the watch shown in Jim's article shows the dial to say American made at the bottom. I wonder if the dial was redone and that was added. On Bernard's picture, I can tell that there is writing at the dial botom, can not read it. Can Bernard tell us what it says at the bottom on his watch?

Elgin was the only American company to make and market it's own American made automatic. I have one. They are generally 17J and have the bumper type rotor.

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Ok Tom,

We will give you a combined quote of 41.25 FOB my dock,

posted
I´ll bid $45 Smile

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Ah Bernhard, that ok but YOU OWN THE WATCH,LOL

posted
Who said I do? If I did, I gotta help pump up the prize a little! Wink

posted
ok, 47,....swedish crowns.

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Now the truth comes out, so you have been trying to sell a watch you don't own, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, lol

posted
That´s my new way of making buisness, smart isn´t it?

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Smart if you don't get caught, BUT, youv'e been caught, LOL

posted
outch!

posted
What you have is a genuine American made Elgin Auto.grade 760 or in that series. It was a last gasp for Elgin and was not so reliable.I have repaired a few.The set bridge has a setting wheel on it that goes south really easy.It also came in a 27 jewel version.It is an extension of their 13/0 710 series of movements.
Hope this helps.I already own one so I am not going to bid.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Julian, Thanks for the info, Hadn't been under the hood on my Elgin in a long time, so I peeked tonight. Mine is a grade 607, 18j,4 adj. SN is F 277549.

Tom