Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Automatic AS1916 hand setting dilemma "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1247
posted
Hi all, I have a Caravelle 1971 automatic that I am restoring. I repaired the day date mechanism and checked the winding mechanism,the clutch etc appears fine but I can only set the hands clockwise,if I try to reverse them the train stops and can even start to run in a counterclockwise direction !! Anybody ever seen this one??

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mark,

I assume you have not re installed the balance yet.
Its not a good practice to move hands in reverse and should be avoided if possible for exactly the reason you are seeing you are trying to drive the train backwards. Some watches you have to do this to quickset dates (by running 9pm to 2am repeatedly).
Also you may want to check/adjust/lube the cannon pinion that may well be tight.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1247
posted
Many thanks Chris....I will try that,I did not even think about that being detrimental to the train ,there is so much misinformation out there in the watch blogs...

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009