Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

to buy or not to buy ? "Click" to Login or Register 
<Tony W. Stalnaker>
posted
Reproduction Stauer 1922 and 365 mechanical wristwatches for $99 at www.nextten.com . This is a lot of money for any watch to me . In your opinion is this an ok watch for the money . I really like the looks of this type watch . Click on classic watches .

Tony

posted
I guess if you like wearing replica watches which are most likley made in China, then it's probably an OK buy. Just don't look for it to appreciate in value any time soon. Confused

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dave,

I'm not sure you looked at the watch Tony has in mind. I believe this is the one...

http://www.nextten.com/watchesandclocks/1922timepiece.aspx

Looks to me like a nice watch for the money!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Tony,

Staurer, Steinhausen in most cases are watches invented by a marketeer. They first started appearing in Airline Mags in the 90's

Some people who have bought them have had serious problems getting them repaired.

Daves comment is the most accurate regarding value etc.

If you think $200.00 dollars is a lot to pay for a watch then SHOP NBC for a Croton or an Invicta. Watch the watch shows 5 value pays free shipping, what a bargain

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Lindell,
yes I was aware of the watch I thought Tony was looking at when I made my comments.

If I was going to buy a watch for $25.00/$35.00 I'd buy a good old TIMEX. Their quartz IronMan watches are terrific. Another good value for money, low cost watch company is Fossil. I bought my grandson one of their Chronographs ( approx. $75.00 ) a year ago and it's been running great ever since. He goes in the shower with it, swims with it and it hasn't let him down once. ( By the way it's probably made in China also )!!

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Well, I must confess...

The watch I wear every day is a Seiko Perpetual Calendar! Energy cell lasts something like ten years, you never have to wind it and the date is always correct. Super-reliable and a great value for very little money!

So there, my secret is out.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Tony,
Personally, I think it's a Beautiful Watch and has a Lot of Class. It's Sharp and Distinguished looking to me.
I also enjoyed the history they mentioned in the AD too.
If you want a Really Nice Looking Watch, for a reasonable amount of money, then I think you have found it.
Remember, everyone likes what they like, we are all different, but what the answer to this question is, only YOU know.

Do you like the style A LOT?
Would you enjoy wearing it all the time?
Did you read the money back guarantee?
Looks like you have little to lose, if you decide to get it to me.

I'm usually not big on todays watches, and I actually like this one A LOT!

I may have a passion for Vintage, but I know a nice looking watch when I see one.

Good luck with your decision.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
lololol Lindell!!! lolol
I missed your post before.
That is so coooool! lol
I can't help but laugh!
shhhh your secret is safe with me......

To each his own, I'm glad to hear it.

Sheila

posted
Lindell,
I liked Jim's comments, so as a follow up I'd like to request you post a picture of your every day watch for us. Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Lin,
And all this time I thought you only carried a pocket watch around in your bathrobe.

I have a few battery operated timepieces but I have always been worried about a short circuit on them and getting myself electrocuted. So, I try and stick with my automatics and mechanicals just for peace of mind.

Do you think I'm over cautious, LOL

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
You guys are a riot! lol Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

My cheap little 1927 Elgin just died the other day, so I will have to pull out one of my other vintage cheapies and wind it up today.

My confession is, that I always drown my watches. I just can't seem to use the sink 5,000 times a day, and not get it wet, each time I put my hands near that sink.

Maybe I should just stop cleaning and cooking? What do ya think? Big Grin Wink Eek Big Grin

Tony, Make sure you let us know what you decide too! OK?

Sheila

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Shelia,

There is a quick solution to your water problem. Call John Cameron Swazye he has one of those new fangled Timex watchs that you can hookup to an Elgin Outboard Motor it is good for 30 feet and it "KEEPS ON TICKIN"

I wouldn't hook it up to an Elgin Garbage Diposal though , I think that voids the warranty.

Bon Apetit

posted
that watch is a real moneymaker...

cost is about 25 dollars...

the ads are remnant ads. you do the math...

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
My "almost every day" watch is a stainless steel digital Casio I bought new in about 1984. It uses a Lithium battery that last about 7 years. I use to even swim with it on. Best $20 I ever spent! Made in Japan. I set it with the radio signal clock, and then set my other clocks to the exact time every Sunday morning when I wind them.

Jim,
I think the Timex that was on the outboard motor was the one time he said "time for a new Timex". I think that was because the band broke.

Andy Big Grin

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Andy,
Have to love those Timex's. One time when I was in the army I took my Timex off layed it on a board to wash my hands.

We were moving some M60's around , I moved forgot the watch and a 60 ton tank rolled over it. Small crack in the crystal, it stopped, I opened it up with a pocket knife fixed it, and it ran for another 3 years.
Can't beat that for $9.95

posted
Jim,
I remember "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin" from when I was a kid, boy that was way back when God created dirt! Big Grin (Almost)

Sheila

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
I saw a Timex ad on the tube the other night, first one I have seen in years

posted
Sheila and others i always remembered it was 10 minutes to 2 pm on the Timex watch ads.Cool ads though, especially the outboard motor one. Smile Smile