• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New wrist watch collector. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hey Guys/Gals, I have been collecting antique pocket watches for many years,and wearing one everyday. It is getting so hard to find jeans with a big enough watch pocket for my big 18 size watches,that about a month ago I gave up and bought myself a wrist watch. Well,here we go again. I bought a 1951 Bulova 17 jewel to wear,and now a month later I have 7 antique wristwatches. I like the old American ones. Simple,something I can work on. I now have Bulova 1951,1940, Elgin 1947,1947,1941,and my lately my interest has been old Walthams,and I have two now 1927,1926,and a 1913 on the way. All the Walthams are O size movements. I don't know where this is going,but I guess there are worse habits. I'll try to post some photos later.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hi Cecil! Boy, you're lucky! My wife has put her foot down on my watch buying! LOL However, I still manage to sneak something past her on occasion. I've only got two wristwatches, but they are dandies! A 1944 Hamilton 987A military, and a 1954 Hamilton "Brockton" 754 19j that belonged to my wifes' grandfather, that is needing an overhaul. Best regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
My 987A

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Back

IHC Member 1508
posted
And The Brockton

posted
Hey Brad,here is what I have come up with to start. Elgin all 17 jewels 1941,1947,1947

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
Bulova Excellency1949 21 jewels,Bulova 1951 17 jewels,and Bulova 1940 17 jewels

posted
And last,and my favorites,Waltham 1927 3/0 size,7 jewels. Waltham 1926 0 size 7 jewels,and my latest and favorite Waltham 1913 0 size 15 jewels,with second hand at 9 oclock. Nothing exotic,just plain and simple,just the way I like it.

posted
By the way I Like your Hamiltons. I just sold a Hamilton model 987S last week on Ebay,with a bunch of other watches that I have had for some time that did not run.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Cecil and Brad nice watches i own several older wristwatches and right now they are down in price a lot from a couple of years ago a good time too buy.One of the best american made wrist watches ever made is the 23 jewel Bulova automaticas from the 50,s and 60,s if in good condition and you wear them ever day you will never have too wind or set them ,,I think they are one of the best time keepers ever made. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Hey Sammie, I'm on the lookout for one of those 30 jewel Bulovas,made in the 60s. My uncle Charlie had one when I was a kid,and I always thought it was really something. Now I want one for myself. My uncle Charlie and I were really close,and he died about 20 years ago,and I asked my aunt Barbara about his watch,but it had disappeared,like so much does at those times.

IHC Member 1508
posted
You've got some really nice ones there, Cecil! I especially like the Walthams! And I'm with you...nice and simple. Best regards, Brad

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Brad;
Every time we are in the car and see a Vintage Firetruck in someones yard. I tell my wife I think I'll start collecting Firetrucks. We could use them for hanging flower baskets. Quite true fully I don't collect clocks because they take up to much space.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Cecil, here is one of my Bulova's and Sammie is absolutely correct....this one you just put on, set it and forget about it....very accurate and never needs winding....

I sent it to Chris when I got it and he put a new second hand on it and COA and it is perfect....Nothing fancy, but neither am I.... Wink

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Here's another one I like....30 Jewel Elgin Automatic....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Here's my favorite....

Elgin grade 760, 30 jewel automatic in 14k solid gold case....

Regards,

Jerry

posted
Hey Eugene,I started out collecting antique clocks,and was soon about to be moved out by them. I had to switch to watches just to have space to keep them. I have slowly been reducing my collection of clocks. I am down to about 25 now,down from about 60.

Jerry,I really like your watches,but I also enjoy the involvement with my watches and clocks. I enjoy winding them everyday,and if they gain or lose a minute or so a day,it just adds to their attraction for me. I don't think I would enjoy it nearly as much if it was just "put it on and forget it". Sounds kinda like what you do with a quartz watch. To me the instrument is the attraction,not the time.

IHC Member 1508
posted
Now I'm probably gonna regret this, but I took my Hamilton "Brockton" to the village blacksmith for a COA. Hopefully, it will turn out fine. I'll find out next week. I've gotta quit taking things to him, and send 'em to Chris instead. I'll sleep better at night! Regards, Brad

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is my latest Buy on wristwatches unless you count the Bulova Digital from the 30's.
It is a 12z Illinois Pocket wrist watch.

IHC Life Member
posted
It's big and Gaudy. But it definitely stands out amongst the crowd. It is Sterling Silver

Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
Very nice watches. Something I like about old watches is no day/date feature. I dispise that day/date window, but, on a more modern or new watch it is something that must be accepted.

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006