• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Tonneau Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here's the dial & hands on my Hamilton Tonneau (engraved) white GF. Movement serial number 4,100,000's vintage

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
posted
Here are my questions:

Is this an original dial variation? (I've only seen the luminous numbers with skeleton hands).

If this is original & correct for the watch, would dial restoration be in order or would it be better to leave as is?

How do you make a determination to have a dial restored and what factors prompt your decision?

Are Hamiltons better left original?

Thanks!

Barbara

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Barbara

I am fairly new at this, but let me try.

This is a correct dial version, the luminous was a more popular choice and an upgrade ( for a fee )i believe over the black enamel numbers. I like this style, it is a nice change from the luminous numbers

As far as refinishing goes, it is a personal choice. I have one watch where the patina adds to the "look" of this particular watch, in my opinion.

It is located in a thread further down on this page.

That being said i just sent 2 dials out to be redone since they were so bad. If the dial is bad enough, i would have it refinished, each threshold is different. There are some other threads about refinishing which offer some thoughts as well as pics.

I would keep the dial for a while and decide after wearing it a while. You can always have it done down the road.

If I am wrong on the dial info, I am sure some of the experts will chime in and correct the information

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
This is a correct dial however the hour hand is wrong for this dial. As to re-doing the dial that is up to you if it were mine (for my colection) I would not do this one. If I planned to sell it I would have it done.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
Greetings,

I agree that this is an original variation of the Hamilton Tonneau dial. I really like the look of the enamel dial, rather than the luminous dials. Often, luminous redials turn out way too "bright green", and looks odd to me. It reminds me of a face lift on my grandmother.

As for your dial, the decision to redial is a personal one. I always prefer an original dial, until the dial begins to take away, rather than add to my appreciation of the watch.

If the watch were mine, I'd redial. International Dial could do a fantastic job for under $25.

All the Best

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Solid Gold Engraved Tonneau

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
This is an exmple of a solid gold two tone Hamilton Barrel, a watch from the same era as the tonneau. Here you will see an enameled dial, and what I believe are the correct hands.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Actually, that style of dial on the Barrel came with blued-steel elongated diamond hands quite similar to those used on the Piping Rock and Coronado... and Barbara's Tonneau. Or the squat, stylized dimaond hands, maybe. I'll dig through my stuff to find either a catalog illustration or advertisement showing the proper hands.

Those hands don't diminish the beauty of that gorgeous watch, though! It's awesome Bill!

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
See, that is EXACTLY why membership the IHC is such a remarkable bargain. What a great education!

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

posted
Gary, Rich, Bill & Bryan ~

Wow - thank you for taking time to post & for sharing your input!

I have a much clearer idea of what I want now.
I'm leaning in the direction of redial and probably not the luminous numbers. I like the simplicity of the plain black numbers on a satin background. I think when redone the numbers will "pop". I've only seen examples with luminous numbers so seeing Bill's Tonneau gives me a better idea of the potential for my watch.

Bill, you are right about membership in IHC - the collective knowledge, information, perspective, opinions and experience from all walks of life throughout the world - what a deal! My investment in membership dues has already paid dividends!

Big Grin

posted
Here's the full before photo. I'll post the after when it comes back.

My last experience with International was sloppy work and several returns. Still not corrected to satisfaction.

Perhaps I should do some namedropping . . . . ?

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Send it to Eagle dial

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Barbara:

I agree with everyone else - the dial is correct and the minute hand is correct however the hour hand and crown are not.

The question regarding redialing the watch very much depends on what you prefer. I personally don't redial unless the dial has been redone once before (and most have been - even if they don't appear to be). If that is the original dial and it has not been refinished, I would keep it that way but in the end, it really depends what your personal preference is.

Below is a mint Tonneau Engraved from 1927 (the year the Tonneau was introduced). This watch has the original dial, crystal and even came with what I believe to be an original metal band. The watch still retains its brush satin back cover and spends each night in its original box with its original papers. The watch appears to have never been overhauled as there are no markings on the inside of the case whatsoever. It's about as close to a NOS Tonneau as I've seen.

Regards,

Will

Tonneau Engraved GF

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
If the hands are incorrect for the watch, what style is appropriate and what's the name of the hands - skeleton, spade, etc?

What do I need to know to purchase hands - what should I be prepared to know - do I give the watch make & model, movement grade, pinion size, etc? (Is that the correct part that holds the hands?)

Where can I purchase hands? ebay? supply house?

Who's on first?

All joking aside, I really do appreciate your help. I am learning so much. Smile

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
If the watch was mine I would look for an hour hand that matches the minute hand in style. I will take a look through my hands and see if I have one that will work on a 987 movement. Give me a few days.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Picture of Frank Wilson
posted
How many have you seen with raised gold numerals?

Frank

Posts: 174 | Location: La Quinta, California USA | Registered: February 25, 2004
Picture of Frank Wilson
posted
This is how it looked when I found it.

Posts: 174 | Location: La Quinta, California USA | Registered: February 25, 2004
posted
Frank, your watch is gorgeous. Thanks for posting the pics!

posted
Here's an engraved ygf model. It needs a new crystal.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Well, my Hamilton is back from the redial.

It was sent out for cleaning and to have the new hands put on and came back not running (banked?). Now I just noticed that the watch guy did not change to the new hands - am I mistaken? Eek

This is my frustration and just one of the reasons that propels me into learning to do cleanings and repairs myself.

Wink