• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Would like to collect Spaceviews "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like to put together a small collection of Accutron Spaceviews (4-6) but don't know alot about them except they are very cool to look at.
The case metal doesn't matter but authenticity is , are there any reputable dealers out there? I am tired of ebay games...

Posts: 26 | Location: Alberta Province in Canada | Registered: February 01, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Troy,

I really love my Accutrons and of course I have no idea whether you know much about them. But begin by checking this link... "ACCUTRON, BASIC TOOLS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION" and then be sure to follow the links it leads to. For additional Spaceview information check... "Find-Or-Search" for "Spaceview" which might also be of help.

Lindell

Wink

Spaceviews are interesting, fun to wear watches...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Greetings Lindell Smile Thanks for the info , I really don't know much about Accutrons except they were a technological first and extremely cool. I like collecting "firsts" like someday I would like to get my hands on a real '57 Ventura. The problem is I have a hard time stopping at just one. I did spot an Alpha Spaceview on watchseller.com , the price is a little out of reach but seems good for the model. Do you know if they are a reputable dealer?
I'm glad you guys run this site because you helped me curb my buying and take time to research my purchasing. Thanks again

Posts: 26 | Location: Alberta Province in Canada | Registered: February 01, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Troy,

Everything about the Accutron is special.

When the first Accutrons were introduced just in time for the Holidays in 1960 as a kid in school I dreamed of one day owning one. It would be seven years until I could afford my first one, I wore it for years and still have it today. Smile Check the image below this post.

Take a look at the reissued Hamilton Ventura, I was able to "scratch that itch" with an uncommon one in rose gold a few years ago. Unlike the Accutron most Hamilton Electrics are somewhat delicate by comparison and far less reliable, but the reissues are classy and you can enjoy them.

I checked the website you mentioned, although I am not familiar with those guys I'd say they seem to know what they are doing and they have some beautiful watches. They have a gorgeous Spaceview Alpha in 14K White Gold, personally I might rather have that one than several other lesser examples.

Lindell

Wink

My very first Accutron is still very special to me...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Troy

i agree with Lindell about the Ventura. like you I fell in love with the design but ended up buying a secondhand reissue from a dealer.

I am wearing it now and today two people remarked on the design. One at the supermarket checkout, I talked to her about Elvis Presley wearing one in Blue Lagoon and the other at a dinner function when I talked about Hamilton trying to stop the decline in sales and hiring a designer who came up with the "ventura". So ahead of the time in it the 50's don't you think?

Kind Regards

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Absolutely Clive!

For those who wonder what Clive and I are going on about just look at the image below this post, they made some wild designs! The stainless Ventura re-issue is one of Hamilton's most popular sellers among their new watches, mine in rose takes it even a step further.

Here is my cool Cool re-issued Ventura in rose-gold...

posted
Once again thanks for all the good info Big Grin, I didn't know that the Hamilton electrics were on the soft side. I will be getting in line for the new Ventura XXL , I think that will scratch my itch for that design, by the way those are some very good pics of some awesome timepieces Lindell. I will take a few days and think about that Alpha though.

posted
Blast Lindell your gold ventura looks better than my stainless steel!

Drat something else to aspire to someday.

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
Hey Guys , I got my first Accutron today. Not a Spaceview but rather a round GF case 218 with date feature. More for everyday use as it has been used but not abused. I have 2 questions, first how do you set the date? Is it a 2 position crown or do you set it while the crown is in. Secondly I would like a proper accutron leather strap with a signed buckle, is there a someone you could recommend,,,,Thanks and Cheers, Troy

IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Troy,
Good luck with the Accutron. Date should set with the crown in and turned clockwise. Otherwise you will have to advance the time 24 hours. You might give that a try anyway to see if the date changes at midnight and not 6:00.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Hi Scott , thanks for the info, I will give it a try, it came set up and changes dates properly. I ask so that I can pull the plug and save the battery for when I am not using it.
Cheers, Troy

IHC Member 1016
posted
I picked up a Spaceview the other day and sent it off for restoration. I'll show it after the first of the year. i sure hope I didn't get a loser!

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007