Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin AMERICAN MADE automatic movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Folks: I had heard rumors that Elgin, toward the end of its existence, attempted to build an automatic movement. I had never seen one, but have come across what I believe is an example of one. It was in a dealer's junk box at a show. I bought it because it had a nice looking case and a pleasing quadrant dial. When I opened the back, I was surprised to see "USA" stamped on the movement, along with the caliber 607 and 18 jewels, an unusual jeweling configuration. Well, I felt like that guy must have felt who found the "Lost Honeymooners" episodes. This must be the movement I heard about. I must say it was a fairly crude attempt at going head-to-head with the Swiss movements of the time. It is a bumper wind (at a time when most Swiss automatics where using the full 360 degree rotor) and the plates are not highly polished nor damaskeened in any way to herald this "triumph" on the part of Elgin. It was, as they say, too little too late to save Elgin from its eventual extinction. But this is, I believe, the only automatic movement completely designed and built in the USA. I heard that Gruen and Bulova ASSEMBLED some automatic movements in their U.S. facilities, during and immediately after WWII. But the parts were still made in Switzerland. Anyway, this is one that is going in the private collection. It's the first one I've seen. Does anyone have any comments about this, or know more about the movement?

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Another shot of the elgin 607

Wristwatch Expert

posted
...And a shot of the inside back. I believe the "PAT PENDING" refers to the case and not necessarily the movement. The case is one of those that has a back that is secured by a stainless steel threaded collar ring, similar to those found on the Bulova Accutron 214 and 218.

posted
Bruce,

Neat movement! I wonder if Elgin Lisenced this "bumper" technology that so many other brands used or if teh simly "knocked it off" or just wel,, "paid homage" to it (wink wink)

Here is another of the so called Americn Made Auctomatics.. Jeff Hess

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
posted
American made automatic Elgin (not a bumper though)

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
posted
another pic

posted
I got one of those about 10 years ago at a flea market. Think I paid $1 for it. Mine is in a stainless steel case, and runs well and keeps great time. They appear to be well made watches, but for Elgin, I think it was just a little to late in the game for success.

Tom

posted
here is yet a third grade/model "761" American made watch.

Tom, my 6th cousin an old old old old time actor is from your town.. He is long gone of course..

Jeff

posted
Jeff, Are you talking about James M. Stewart as you cousin?

Tom

posted
yes sir. 6th cousin.

Eerytime he was on the tube my dad would remind us that he wasa a shirt tail relative.. lol

jeff

posted
That grade 607 was made @ 1948 according to the Elgin section of THE BOOK.I have never had one to look at but I would like to have one.I believe it was made in the US, but not a good effort on Elgins part.
The 760 and 761 were not very well made specially the manual winding and setting parts. they are the first to go south.I have a couple of these.
I think they were made in the plant in Elgin South Carolina.
Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
I just noticed this interesting topic. I received an American made Elgin model 761 as my high school graduation gift in 1961. I wore this watch every day until the mid 80's. During the last couple of years of use I had to wind it by hand since the rotor had broken. It was still keeping good time when I replaced it with a quartz watch. Recently I found a parts watch on Ebay and had my watchmaker replace the rotor. It looks a little rough after all those years of use but it is once again self winding. Back in 1961 I thought this watch was really high tech. Here's an interesting article regarding these watches on the elginwatches.org site. http://elginwatches.org/history/fm.html

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
posted
Bruce,

I picked this one up a while back. note the 6801 reference number but no "pat pendng" and no long number either.

Also note my serial number onthis watch..f264859

jeff

interesting stuff. In spite of the poor quailty look of these watches I still think they are undervalued and definelty under studied.
jeff

posted
inside back of case

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I also have one of these, American made, 30 jewels, etc.

I can't seem to find a serial number on the movement?

It's a late model made w/o bumper springs.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Lloyd C. Bowen III
posted
The last decade of American Elgin is my particular focus. Elgin made 4 automatic watches during the period of 1950 to 1964 when they were sold off to europe. They are the only american made automatics. They are calibers 607, 618, 760, and 761. 607 and 618 are 18 jewels, bumper movements. 760, as already noted, is 30 jewels and the 761 is 27. As is noted already, these movements are not fancy - no extraneous work was done to them, and the later movements (760 and 761) are VERY complex -- I've got a few of them and they are a pain to disassemble and clean. The inclusion of the Durabalance on these also makes them (in my opinion) hard to time well. I'd hate to be the watchmaker these were taken to for repair.

Don't get me wrong -- as I said I have a special interest in these watches. I feel the innovations in these late Elgin's are significant. The balance is actually very stable and doesn't need adjustment very often. Each of my watches starts almost immediatly, with just one of two turns of the weight, and I've had none that needed repair (even though I wear them every day). They also keep excellent time. Now if Elgin had just managed a date complication they may have pulled through. The war kinda killed that, though.

------------------------------
Clay Bowen
== Got a 50's - early 60's Elgin Wristwatch? Want to sell it? ==

Posts: 4 | Location: Burnsville, Minnesota USA | Registered: June 19, 2007
posted
Welcome Clay!
It is a good time to be looking for these as they are still reasonably priced and frequently found. I will let yuo know if I see any nice ones.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
Picture of Lloyd C. Bowen III
posted
Thanks for the welcome. I'm rather new the wristwatches (a year or so), I was (and still am) working on 400 day clocks. I took the timezone courses and a couple of other video courses, and lots of practice (and failures...). I've kinda fell into the Elgin wristwatch thing - found that I really like both their style and craftmanship as well as the American connection. You are right - they are fairly reasonable in cost. I'm just not rich enough to collect Patek Phillipe or even Lange & Sonne (not that I really like their style anyway).

------------------------------
Clay Bowen
== Got a 50's - early 60's Elgin Wristwatch? Want to sell it? ==

Posts: 4 | Location: Burnsville, Minnesota USA | Registered: June 19, 2007
posted
Bumping this post. Clay, I hope you're still on here. I'm near St. Cloud, MN and recently inherited my father's graduation gift, a 1960 Lord Elgin 30J Automatic (with box, papers, original warranty card). It doesn't run, and I don't think it has run as long as I've been alive (36years) but would like to get it fixed.

Since you have Elgins and live close, I'm wondering where you've taken yours for service. If anyone else has any advice I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Al

Posts: 2 | Location: Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 10, 2011
posted
Al, I have one of these Elgin full rotor automatics. If you are interested in getting yours repaired, I could do it for you.
Email me if you would like to discuss it.
ksnowden@stny.rr.com

Thanks,
Ken

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I have several of these watches, My Lord Elgin is a 760 30J in 14k solid gold. They were the top of the line in the early days of the automatic, and not cheap either. I have an Ad for my exact watch and if I can find it, I will post it.

I also have manual information on the automatic watches if anyone needs it. I have found that not all manuals have all of the information on the Automatics. Especially concerning the adjusting of the watch. I will look for that information too, and post it here.
I think it's already on the forum but would be a very old post.
I only have one very bad photo of my Gold Lord Elgin, but it's actually a very beautiful watch. this is an ebay photo, and it's hard to get a good one because of the gold everywhere. lots of reflection.

Sheila

30js

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the offer. Right now I'm going to try to stay close if I can find someone. There is an older watchmaker at a very reputable jeweler near where I live but I don't know that he's worked on a 760. I will certainly keep your offer in mind.

Beautiful watch Sheila.

Posts: 2 | Location: Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 10, 2011