Tools
Reply to Post

Early Television and Wristwatches... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Early Television and Wristwatches...

I recently acquired an interesting set of black and white 35mm early television station identification slides. (I can restore the others and share them too if you're interested!) You'll notice in the image below the watch is set to a specific time. In the early days of television local commercial time was very inexpensive and the announcer would read copy briefly extolling the virtues of the Helbros Benton and ending with station identification and time as shown on the watch.

My hope is to put together the history of WXEL which has changed not only call letters and dial location but ownership as well over the years along with additional information about the Helbros watches depicted in the slides. If anyone can find a reference to the watch shown and help narrow down when it was offered that would be a big help.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Lindell

Wink

WXEL Channel 9 Cleveland Ohio... Helbros Watch Time 8:00

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Cool item. It would be interesting to find out about the horological tie-in to the history of that station.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Interesting Lindell maybe someone can find out more about the date for the watch..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004