• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham wrist watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am looking for help understanding more about the Waltham wrist watch pictured below. This belonged to my Father and I am not sure how old it is or its value. The inside of the back cover has some info including some scratch writing? I will try to post 2 pictures including the inside and front of the watch. The back cover will not stay closed and needs some repair.

THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION.

Posts: 7 | Location: Hyannis, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: June 10, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
This is the front of Mike's watch...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

Not to sure how much help I can be, but your serial number shows it to be a size 6/0 Model 1898 Ruby grade 17 jewel, it should have been made sometime around 1928.

These movements were also used in ladies pocket watches.

The "scratch writing" you mention are watchmakers marks, these were made at sometime during the life of the case when the watch was serviced, my understanding is each watchmaker had his own codes so usually they can not be deciphered. Sometimes you might be able to come up with a date in the code, but sometimes it is a part number that was replaced, or just noted for the watchmaker next time he worked on it.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Mike,
If you look at your case back, you will see a notch on one edge. This notch has to line up with a knob on the case frame, before you can close the case. Try it and see if you can then close the case.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002