Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 982 Movement Serial J2320? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Hamilton 982 Movement Serial J2320?

Does this serial mean that this was 2320 in production? Anymore info for this serial number? Thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Mark,

For the answer to your question we need to begin by consulting numbered Page 22 of the Hamilton Serial Number Listings compiled by John F. Gelson which we have as part of our Hamilton Horology On-Site Research program. I have cropped the portion of Page 22 that deals specifically with the Hamilton Grade 982 and placed it below this message.

Looks like Grade 982 began at J1001 in 1935 and continued through 1951 production. That would indicate your number J2320 would have been the 1,320th of the Grade 982 originally blocked for production. But I would caution these are merely blocked numbers set aside for production runs.

Often not all numbers were used in production and it is also important to realize they did not necessarily finish movements in consecutive order. For that reason, representative examples and sightings become very important to us as collectors and researchers.

Hope this information is of help to you and to others.

Lindell

Below, blocked runs for the Grade 982 in production...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
So where does this one fit in ?

Dan

980 movement - sample ?

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Dan,

Apparently you have a marked as "Model" pre-production 17-Jewel Grade 980 movement.

Of course as you know the 980 was a 17-Jewel predecessor to the 19-Jewel 982 and from what I can see it also continued through the 1951 model year. According to numbered pages 21 and 22 of the Gelson Listings factory finished Grade 980 movements start with blocked number G101 during 1934 production. Others know far more about these watches than I and may have additional information.

Very interesting movement, is there a "prototype" story to go with it? Big Grin

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Movement above was found in a chrome-plated nickel Elgin case, adapted to take the 980 movement.
The dial is one variety of the Hamilton CALVIN model dial.

Dan

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Dan that is a very interresting 980 movement.

Does it have any serial #,s anywhere on the movement. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
No serial numbers anywhere on movement.

Pic. of case below - it is an Elgin nickel case, the bezel chrome plated, and expertly converted to take the 980 mvt. shown above.

Dan

Case for 980 model

IHC Life Member
posted
An even more interesting 980 mvt. is the one below, supposedly with a hack function.

Dan.

980 hack mvt.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
That is a very unusally movement, i would love to see a picture under the dial,do you think that would have been for military use.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sorry to bring up an old post, but for those who are collecting this information in research, I just had a Hamilton 982 surface in my late father's estate and is now in my hands. From what I've gathered, it once belonged to my grandfather. I've never seen it before, so it was a surprise to me when it turned up.

The movement number is J195386, which, according to the list above, should have been made between 1941 and 1942.

It will be heading south for restoration in the next few days.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Somehow I missed this discussion the first time around. I guess I may as well revive it by adding this curiosity, which shouldn't exist, according to the Gelson list of 980 movements -- serial #G39.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
And one more 980. The gold print makes it hard to photograph, but the serial number reads "Sample 83."

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Rene, would you please give me your professional and personal opinion of the 982? This is the only Hamilton wrist watch now I own, was owned and worn by my grandfather, and I have NEVER had a high jeweler double roller version before, so I'm very interested in knowing where my watch stood in the Hamilton line up in 1941.

Considering it was produced between 1935 and 1951 shows it must have been popular.

Any information you could offer would be MOST appreciated.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
The Hamilton 982 movement was almost the top of the line for wristwatch movements at the time. It was essentially the same as the workhorse 980, but with two additional jewels (caps on the escape wheel) and a finer finish. The only thing better was the 982M, or 'Medallion'. This was essentially identical to a 982 but was finished and adjusted to a finer degree than the regular 982.

In the 1930s many gold-filled watches were available with 980 as standard, and the 982 as an extra-cost option. Gold watches used the 982 as standard. Starting in 1940 Hamilton set up a new system: all gold (and platinum) watches used the 982M; 14K gold-filled watches used the 982; and 10K gold-filled watches used the 980.

The quality of the 98s was very high, but since it was used in a wide variety of cases I'd need to see a picture of the watch to say anything about the specific style.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you, sir. Once I have it restored, hopefully he'll take a few photos and we'll post them here for you to see.

My grandfather was an officer in the Army Corp of Engineers from the late 30's on, making it his career after leaving the railroad at that time. I didn't know him that well, though KNEW him into my young adult life, he lived in Texas and me in Ohio, so our paths rarely crossed. I DO know he believed in buying, owning and using only the best, so when I got this watch and was told it was his, I figured he got the best he could afford at the time.

I also wonder if it was what he wore as he marched across Europe during the war? I'll never know now, as only he and my Dad could have told me. He must have worn it quite a while and kept it serviced, as there are several jeweler service marks in the back of the case.

Thank you again for the information.

HIGH regards! Mark