• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which Hamilton Box is correct? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am loooking for a Hamliton "Donald" in honor of my father, Donald Bernd, Jr. I have seen a few boxes from that '41-'51 time period. Which is correct for the Donald; the really long and skinny box ( 10.5" X 1.5" or so), or the more square rectangle (5.5" X 2.5" or so)? Could both be correct? I have seen both but yet to purchase the box or a watch.

Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Suffolk, Virginia USA | Registered: March 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
The 10 inch box is certainly correct - see pic below of a Gilbert from 1945 in this style of box with correct style strap.

10 inch box

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
The Donald was sold from 1941 through 1952. So any box appropriate for this rather long span is appropriate. Note that there was a period during the war when no civilian watches were manufacuted.

Here is a picture of the box shown on the cover of the 1941 catalog.

Don

1941 catalog box

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
The above box is for a lady's watch, being only around 8.5 inches long, the mens' watch boxes are around 10.5 inches long, and have wider margins around the center section of the lid.

See the two compared below ----

watch boxes

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Thanks guys. When was the more square rectangular box (5.5"X2.5") or so used? I like it a little more, as it holds the band in a worn position around a keeper, instead of laying flat. Wish I had a pic to post for your viewing.

IHC Life Member
posted
I was told this box was used when the watch had a metal band, as the watch pictured has.

However if you look at the label on the outer card box it clearly bears the word "strap" - so must be OK for a strap watch also.

dan

Box

posted
Thanks Dan, They are some great shots; helps keep me actively looking for my "Holy Grail". Guess I need to add a pigskin strap to the list!! Wink
Greg