Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

0-size wristwatches - thanks to all who helped "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I finally managed to sort out my 0-size collection, due in great part to the help of several members- so thanks guys, especially to - Dave Coatsworth, Cary Hunt, John Flahive, Cort Moore, Rene Rondeau, and Dan Weiss, and others.

I'm much more expert now on the mysteries of glass crystal sizing, and the wonders of adjusting stem setting sleeves, than ever before.

Anyway here's the results ---- three Hamiltons in middle, Waltham at top, two Elgins lower down.

0-size

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Dan,
I just love em!

I have been looking at my 0 size watches too, and was shocked at how many were modified for the wrist. I have many of the regular wristwatches too, but ya gotta love the ones that were changed to wristwatches huh?

I love the Gold Elgin, very nice, but of course, I love Elgins!

Thanks for sharing these, very nice.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Here are the three Hamiltons, all with 983 movements -- the one on left has a silver Fahys case, and that on the right has what looks like a green gold fill Fahys case.

Hamiltons

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The beautifukl little US-made "round 0 size" watches were truly miniature pocket watches, so I have collected a few. My wife "adopted this 1891 Walham after our jeweler while mounting a gold watchband safety chain told her the band was very special as it was detailed with Black Sapphires in a 14k gold band.
Marjorie wears it well because she likes the attention it gets.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
AND I made sure the NOS looking 15j movement keeps excellent time not that it help`s Marjorie make her nail appt! A very beautiful "made in USA" 115 year old watch AND band!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
What a Black Sapphire trimmed hand-worked Gold filigreed expansion Watch Band looked like in 1894.

posted
Dan,
The closeups are great, shows them much better.
Sure would be hard to pick just one of those beauties.

David,
I have a few of those too, however my bands are not gold, just silver or platinum, no stones.

That one is fantastic, makes me drool.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
posted
And the movements are great to work on -- everything is so BIG compared to my usual 6/0 size Hamiltons.

Vintage 0-size cases are not so great however - especially the stem and sleeve setting system, many of which are now rusted or defective or even missing entirely !

posted
I know what you mean, I have several that I would love to wear, but they need some kind of repair, especially with the stems.

This is one I really like, but naturally, the stem gave me trouble after only wearing it 2 times, and it worked so perfect too!

Sheila

Elgin wwholder 4

posted
Another view

Sheila

Elgin wwholder2