Bulova Movement Date Markings "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert

posted
Bulova Movement Date Markings

here's the hieroglyphic mark on the movement on that tube lug bulova:

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
Wristwatch Expert

posted
other bulova movement markings. I took this off an old Bulova service bulletin. '46 through '49 are sometimes marked "A6", "A7," etc. Then, starting in 1950s, they went to "L", such as "L0" for 1950, "L1" for 1951, etc. Note how the marks repeat every 9 years (for the most part). Guess you have to guestimate the age of the watch based on the case to know when the movement was made!

Posts: 84 | Location: Evansville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 30, 2005
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Pretty Neat !!! I guess that might put my BULOVA PHANTOM at 1926 (triangle stamp next to the detent screw). I am pretty sure that it is earlier than the mid-30s (the next use of the triangle).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Bruce,

Thanks for posting this reference table. I have seen those odd markings on my Bulova's and was told to concentrate on other things when I inquired about them. I'm presuming it was because no one had the answers. Big Grin

Rather primitive - why not just print the date? Then a key or translation would not be necessary!

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
posted
Bruce,

Thanks for giving us a guide for dating early Bulovas. Like many things the more we know the more we want to know. Does anyone know the scheme of the movement and case numbers these early 1920’s and 30’s Bulovas follow? The numbers are quoted and shown in all the auction listings and some sellers have given me imaginative interpretations for their relationship to age. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Regards, James

Posts: 5 | Location: France | Registered: September 07, 2005
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Hi James,

Welcome to IHC Chapter 185! The bits of useful information you can pick up here are really amazing.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Hello James,

Welcome to IHC 185! As you can see, there's a wealth of information here. Smile

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Picture of Allan Kangas
posted
As someone who is new at collecting vintage Bulovas, this is exactly what I've been searching for. Thank you for making the post. I also have the same question as Mr. Westall.

Aude sapere

Posts: 14 | Location: Bedford, Texas USA | Registered: August 27, 2005