Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting & Early Sterling Hamilton Wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I found this at the Drawbridge Show. I bet Bryan and Will can tell us much more...

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Another view

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Hamilton 981 Movement?

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Another look at the Movement...

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Inside the caseback.

Note that it isn't signed Hamilton.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bill nice watch is that a military watch.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
That is the "Round" variety of the "Hamilton Wrist Watch for Men." See the April 2006 issue of the Bulletin for a more in-depth discussion of the varieties of these 0-size wristwatches.

Despite Hamilton's use of the term "Military" in some instances describing these watches, they were intended from the beginning as consumer watches... the term "Military" was merely a marketing ploy by Hamilton to increase sales.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Very nice Bill

As luck would have it, I also acquired an early Hamilton cushion in sterling silver with a 981 movement as well. Ironically the serial number is 2036453, just a difference of 32 from yours.

I should receive mine in a few days, i will post some pics when i receive the watch

They would make a nice set for one of us! Nice find

Gary

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary:

I saw the picture of the 0-sized Cushion you bought - it's a great example. In fact, I have a Hamilton 0-size cased in a BWC 14K gold case (it’s the 14K yellow gold example in the Bulletin) whose serial number is only three off from yours. Imagine that! Surely they must have bumped into each other in the factory when being made. Smile

The 0-sized Cushions are really great watches - they're large and distinctive, historically important and were made at a time when a good amount of hand craftsmanship was the norm (did I forget to mention that the movements are stunning to look at also?). If you decide to wear yours, and I don’t see why you wouldn’t, you’ll find that they're great "head turners." I've worn any number of Hamiltons over the years without notice but it seems that every time I wear a Hamilton 0-size, people ask me about the watch.

In the end, few can argue their appeal, especially today, when “large” watches are all the rage. But they’re more than just a “large” watch; they represent the beginning of the “wristwatch era.” That might not be a novel thought today, but it certainly was when they were first introduced. For this and all the other reasons stated earlier, they’re not just “great looking” watches, they are an important part of horological history.

Wears yours in health.

Regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
i have a hamilton cushion in 14k posted on the site , along with original box and papers from 1927 . original price was 75.00

Posts: 109 | Location: Brookpark, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 06, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Pete:

What "site" are you talking about? If you are referring to the sterling wristwatch pictured in this message topic, that particular watch is a Hamilton 0-sized wristwatch. The watch is fairly large in comparison to Cushions of the 1920's.

Your watch is likely a 6/0-sized Cushion, a watch significantly smaller than the 0-sized example shown above. Do you have a picture to share with us? I'd love to see it.

Regards,

Will

Posts: 80 | Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey U.S.A. | Registered: January 23, 2005
posted
hi will ,

its pictured on this site in " horological items for sale " : )

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Here is the sterling silver cushion i spoke about, 1309 total production

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
another view

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Compared to the 6/0 size Hamilton cushion in white gold fill with a 986 movement circa 1922-23 - 122 total production

I love the 0- watch and have worn it everyday since Tuesday (quater is for scale)

posted
great watch , especially the dial

Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
last one

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary and Bill:

Gary, your 0-size is amazing! It's in great condition and the dial looks pristine. Your 6/0, 0-size comparison pictures are wonderful as they highlight the differences between the two watches. It's pretty amazing to see how divergent the two styles are - size, shape, lugs and dial construction all differ. And to think that at one point, both models were sold concurrently. In any case there is no denying the differences between Hamilton's first generation and its second generation wristwatch models and it’s great to see the two together.

Bill, I simply love your 0-size! Indeed, it is the exact model that is shown in the April NAWCC Bulletin (Fig. 5, page 169). It's a very rare watch and it is the only one that I have ever seen of its type. I have seen earlier examples but the cases do not match Hamilton's description so one can never know with certainty if the earlier cases are correct or not - but not so with this example.

This 0-size was used by the U.S. Mail Aviators so it is not just a great Hamilton, it also has historical significance and is one of only 300 examples manufactured by Hamilton. The condition is excellent as well! The double bezel (as shown in your picture) enabled the wearer to remove the outer bezel (without disturbing the crystal which is attached to the inner bezel) and snap on a shrapnel guard (or crystal protector). This was important because if you read the early history of the U.S. Mail Aviators, there were numerous mishaps, crashes and weather problems.

There is a great story where one mail carrier’s plane crashed, subsequently scattering the mail across a field of corn. The carrier collected the mail, found another plane which later crashed as well. Not one to give up, the carrier saved the mail from the burning plane and finally after a trip fraught with problems, made it to his destination proudly proclaiming a loss of only three percent (and only six hours late)! In fact, Charles Lindbergh was one of those early mail carriers and I have a framed letter that he personally carried to the U.S. Virgin Islands in his position as a U.S. Mail Aviator. I don’t know with certainty but there’s a good chance that Lindbergh himself wore a Hamilton 0-size.

These Hamilton 0-size wristwatches are wonderful watches with a strong and historical significance not just for Hamilton, but for our country as well.

Kindest regards,

Will