Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Grade 907 in 14K White Gold "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I was digging through boxes of old wristwatches that I acquired and found this 19j Illinois 6/0s Grade 907 wrist watch in 14K white gold. From the serial number, 5109843, the watch was made around 1928. I was surprised to find from a 1930 advertisement that the Grade 907 in a 14K cushion case retailed for $78.50! Eek

The watch has a deteriorating band that turned my fingers black and a yellow crystal. But I've learned to look beyond these things and was pleasantly surprised to find the case was a 14K white gold. The Solidarity case has the serial number 588797. The dial and hands have also seen better days, but I like the seconds area at 9:00 and the overall style of the watch.

I am curious if anyone knows how many were made in 14K white gold. I don't know much about wrist watches - I consider it a small miracle if I can successfully remove the case back on some of these Confused - so I don't have any ideas on how common or uncommon a watch like this one might be.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
The face without the hideous yellow crystal

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement needs cleaning, but the watch runs when wound and the hands set as they should.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case markings

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I like the looks of your watch too! I also don't know anything about watches, I saw that on page 865 of the 2008 guide it has a add from 1926 that shows the 907 movement.

In vol 2 of the American pocket watches it says "Grade 907 was widely advertised, beginning in 1915 when it was offered both as a pendant & bracelet watch. This was the 2nd highest quality grade in 6/0 size, following grades 909 & 601" On page 223 it has a 1930 ad, I don't if it is the same ad you saw. it shows the watch in 14K for $75.00

It shows that the serial numbers were 2,782,001-5,304,000 (1915-1930), yours must have been at the end.

Well that is my 2 cents at 2 in the morning.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I just leafed through Fred F.'s excellent book on Illinois wristwatches. I think that this watch is in a "generic" case not uniquely used by Illinois. It most resembles the watch at the top right of page 146.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
All,
Fred is the expert regarding Illinois wrists///// Smile
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
The letter I beside the 6/0 designation on the back means that this generic case was intended to hold an Illinois movement. Sometimes you will see them marked E/I which meant they had the proper depth inside the case for Elgin or Illinois movements.

Regards,

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the information. I have to confess I am not familiar with Fred F. or his book. Is there somewhere I can buy it?

John III

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The book is The Illinois Watch -- The Life and Times of a Great American Watch Company by Frederic J. Freidberg. It is published by Schiffer. Fred either could sell you a copy or tell you where you could buy one. His e-mail address is fred@illinoiswatches.com.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
quote:
The Illinois Watch -- The Life and Times of a Great American Watch Company

Thanks for the information Ethan. I have sent an email to Fred.

John iII