Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron spaceviews - original vs conversions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Do all "original" spaceviews have chapter rings?
I own a couple of known original 1964 spaceviews, and both have chapter rings.
In browsing ebay, I see spaceviews for sale with no chapter ring, that are reputed to be original. I cant seem to find a definitive answer on the web. Any ideas? Maybe only early spaceviews had the chapter ring?

Kevin Scott Moller

Posts: 248 | Location: Tacoma, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2009
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
Kevin the answer is no! The Complete Guide to Watches 2009 edition depicts Bulova Accutron watches on page 690 thru 703 and shows probably all of the Spacview models on those 13 pages. I have been watching out for a Spaceview for the last 3 years & still looking. Attached is one of the models that does not have the chapter ring on the outer edge. The chapter ring on this Spaceview is actually on the crystal. Happy Hunting!

Wayne

Spaceview

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Wayne - you know, its funny that you mention the complete guide to watches. I stated in my post that I could not find anything definitive on the web regarding this question. Well, right next to my computer all along was the 2007 version of.... you guessed it - the Complete guide to watches.
Maybe I should get a library card, and spend less time on the webSmile

Now that I am looking at the accutron section of the guide, I realize that it may be darn near impossible to tell if a spaceview was sold as such, or converted afterwards by the simple addition of a new crystal Frown

Thanks!

Kevin S Moller

Posts: 248 | Location: Tacoma, Washington in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2009
posted
The 214 requires a spacer to make up for the missing dial, or the hands will not move

Posts: 45 | Location: Warren, Michigan in the USA | Registered: February 27, 2008
posted
Bulova actually issued a service bulletin on how to convert a basic 214 into a Spaceview. The original Spaceviews were jewelry store demo models and customers early on inquired about how to obtain one for themselves. The right size tension ring from an old armored crystal will work as a spacer ring. Then you need to find painted hands.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
Hi All

Nothing to do with space views but I have sprayed hands with an aerosol in the past with some success. Trick is that you need to leave the thinnest layer of paint possible, just a dusting to give colour.

And dont forget to put them on a spike or someting to stop them blowing away before spraying!

Clive

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007
posted
Hi All,

The first spaceviews were made without chapter rings and were made for advertising purposes as one member said. They "caught on" and Bulova ended up producing over 2,000,000 214 models during the 60's into the 70's. In all of Bulova's career with Accutrons they produced over 5,000.000 of these units! The chapter ring models (214) have the chapter ring seated into the bezel area located by a pin on the chapter ring that mates with a drilled blind hole in the bezel. There are a lot of immitations out there and one sure way to detect them are the hands....they must be white and the finish will be "pebble like" when magnified. Be sure the second hand where the post is rivitted is not filled with paint for that's a sure indicator someone refinished the hand. The crystal size is another indicator for there were only specific case sizes the spaceviews were made to. The first modles were made to fit a 29.0 mm crystal, then they progressed up the popular 29.9 mmm. Both sizes had the chapter rings applied to the inside face of the crystal along with the Accutron name at below the 12:00 position with the Accutron logo at the upper most 12:00 position. The applied crystal must be crisp and clear for the immitations are mot crisp and some are really close but upon magnification one can spot the differences. There are several sizes above these as well.

dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Independence, Ohio USA | Registered: June 24, 2006