Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rare Hamilton Rectangular for sale on Ebay! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
It is indeed the date the drawing was done. Each time the drawing is modified, another date is written below the previous dates. So this is the first drawing.

Good eyes Rick.

I think Tom has the right idea. Notice hand written notes says that no part number had been assigned because it was a purchased part. This drawing was done when they assigned a part number. H3458 I think they wanted a drawing in case they ever did need to make the dial themselves.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
posted
OK, now you have me curious. I check several of the other early dials for the 987. None of the drawings were done before 1932. Some are labeled as having been made outside, while some are not labeled as such.

Hamilton changed their parts numbers system many times over the years. When they started a new part number for an old part they created a new drawing. However, when this happened in later decades, there was usually a note stating that this was the same part as old number xxxx or that is was a modified version of this old part.

Always more to learn.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
The rectangular is my favorite Hamilton, Period. It is large, lovely, and the first in 18K gold. The engraving is magnificent. I like everything about this watch. I own a perfect example, and bought and sold a lesser one. This one appears quite worn. It was obviously loved and worn. Attached are 2 examples of the dial. The one on the left was an old original dial. Note the faint gold coloring that was in the center. The one on the right is a restored dial, now placed on the example posted above.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
posted
It sold for $3862 to a known Hamilton collector.

Posts: 113 | Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
The Rectangular.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC Life Member
posted
Sold for only $3861 - even with worn lugs, surely a good price ?

DM

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
It is a buyers market. Prices are soft. This was a fine enough watch at a very VERY fine price.

IMHO buyer did well here.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

posted
Bill,

Knowing your love for the Rectangular, I was surprised to see you not posting about this one last week. Smile

Frankly, at this price, I'm surprised a few more bidders we not in the mix. But I guess since all "the usual suspects" knew this one was for sale, one can only presume that a soft market allowed for a still relatively good deal...if one can label a fairly worn watch under $4k a good deal? Though if you'll sell me your terrific Rectangular for this price, I'll drive the 400 miles today!! Smile

BTW Bill, is there any reason you did not have the "Butler's Center" added back on your example? Int'l dial has done this on a few of my Illinois dials, and it has looked great.

Regards,

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Rick,

Thanks for your post. I added a post or two to this thread, but I make a practice to not post about a watch that I have bid on, or one that I will bid on. I believe that I may have posted an hour or two prior to the auction ending, but it was highly positive of the watch and the value of the watch, and certainly didn't help my cause in TRYING to buy it. I did not buy this watch.

In the future, I will make it a practice not to post about a watch that I have either bid on, or a watch that I am planning to bid on.

The Rectangular is my favorite Hamilton. Keep the Spur. Keep the Coronado. Keep the Piping Rock.

The Glendale, while more rare and equally engraved, is far too small. The Rectangular, with its large size, amazing detail, 18K case and special place in Hamilton History, this watch is my favorite. This one, and my Flight I, will be the 2 that I give to my children, if they wish to own a watch.

I was a high second place bidder for this watch, but alas, I failed to buy it. If it were the green gold version, I would not have lost.

It is my favorite Hamilton watch.

As for my dial, I believe that Internation Dial, my favorite watch dial restoration company, does not have the original pattern for this dial. They and I will get it right eventually. It isn't going anywhere. "Progress, not perfection".

WJH

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17