Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please Help Identify a New Famed Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Dear Forum,
I recently acquired Brooklyn Dodgers Hall of Fame baseball player Pee Wee Reese's 23 jewel self-winding Bulova watch that was presented to him for his team defeating the New York Yankees in the 1955 World Series ... and it is so inscribed on the back as you will see in the photos. I do not know much about Bulova watches and would love any information anyone could provide about the quality and year of make of this nice looking watch. It must have been made in 1955 or earlier as it is inscribed with that year, but I am not sure exactly when, nor do I know the name of the model. It runs well and still looks great. It is missing a small section as you will see in the photos ... and I think I will leave it as is for now, but wonder how that could be fixed if I wanted. Thanks for having a look at this latest addition to my collection at:
Pee Wee Reese 1955 World Series Watch

To review all of my famed watches in this small collection, please go to:
FamedWatches.com

John F. Murray

Posts: 48 | Location: Palm Beach, Florida in the USA | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
Is there a m? (with ? a number 0 to 9 on the back?) If so it's M=50+that number for the year.

No idea on a model name, but 23 Jewels + six adjustments is very high quality.

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Another very cool watch John!

One point of correction. Stephen, if I remember correctly the 1950s used an L-prefix for the date. The way I remember is the 1960s was M and N was used for the 1970s issues on the early Accutrons I collect. Based upon that John we indeed find "L5" on the Pee Wee Reese watch case-back. Cracking that code the L stands for 50 and the 5 would indicate 1955 production just as you anticipated.

Click for additional information: "Find-Or-Search" for "Bulova Date" listings.

It is great to see these remarkable pieces of history!

Lindell

Wink

Looking closely the "L5" authenticates production year...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
D'oh!

Posts: 106 | Location: Widnes, United Kingdom | Registered: April 02, 2008