Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Nivada Grenchen Chronograph "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Saw this at the flea market today... a bit out of my area of expertise but it spoke to me, so I bought it.

Any info about it would be appreciated.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
posted
Hi Bryan,

Very nice chronograph. Smile Fun to take a risk outside our comfort zone, eh?

I'm confident in saying that Croton made the Nivada Grenchen. Many of the Nivada Grenchen (not chronograph) watches I've seen have had a valjoux movt.

Have you checked the movement? Page 629 in the 2005 Cooksey Shugart guide gives a quick rundown on chronographs.

Interestingly, there was also a lawsuit back in the '50's about the Croton company using just the word Nivada. It is my understanding that Movado initiated a lawsuit and prevented Croton from importing those marked as Nivada only. Movado contended that there would be confusion in the marketplace (Movado/Nivada). I believe that Croton was able to eventually import as Nivada Grenchen. There are Nivada signed dials (p. 969 in the shugart guide) but all that I have seen have had the combined words Nivada Grenchen on the dials. I've not seen a plain Nivada.

Hope this has been somewhat helpful. Good luck!

Barbara

Wink

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Thanks Barbara.

This one has a Valjoux 72 movement.

This is a massive watch, measures 47mm long and 43mm wide... which makes it a little too large for my wrist. I'm going backpacking this summer, perhaps I can strap it to my ankles to build up my leg muscles in the meantime.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004