WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Dial Indicator/Comparator Request for Information "Click" to Login or Register

posted
Elgin Dial Indicator/Comparator Request for Information

I have recently acquired a couple of dial indicator/comparator stands and am hoping to find out more about them.

Posts: 3 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 21, 2022
posted
The one on the left uses a fuzee mechanism, which matches the earliest patent for a dial indicator.

An example similar to this was posted on this site by David Abbe and identified as an Elgin product.

2008 Posting

I joined this site hoping to ask David if he had more information on this, but it appears it has been some time since he has made any posts.

Posts: 3 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 21, 2022
posted
The second example is strikingly similar in design, except it has a traditional rack and pinion movement.

Searching Google for information on these produced David Abbe's post and one other picture of an older auction lot.

Any leads on information about these would be greatly appreciated.

My understanding was that the fuzee design was patented by John Logan, and the patent purchased by Randall & Stickney. Although they purchased the patent, they never produced an indicator using the fuzee design, instead opting for a rack and pinion movement. I was very surprised when I purchased this item, opened it up, and found a fuzee inside as I was not aware there were any produced.

This is the first fuzee I have seen in person, and it is pretty astonishing to consider it has been holding together for over 100 years.

Thank you for your time.