Internet Horology Club 185
Rolex Radium Replacement on Dial & Hands

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9826095371/m/5953924377

July 28, 2012, 12:00
Bruce Stewart
Rolex Radium Replacement on Dial & Hands
Last year I bought a 1920's Rolex wrist watch from Jones & Horan. At the time of purchase, the radium was missing from the dial and the hands. The following shows the process I used to replace the missing radium with acrylic paint (much safer material). This first shot shows some of the numbers having been finished.

July 28, 2012, 12:03
Bruce Stewart
This shot shows progress after about an hour and a half. Acrylic is fairly easy to work with and can be scraped off the dial if you don't like the final look.

July 28, 2012, 12:06
Bruce Stewart
This photo shows the condition of the hands at time of purchase. To restore these with the acrylic, I put frosted tape on the front, then painted in 4-5 coats of acrylic into the recesses of the back side. After allowing to dry, tape can be peeled off safely without damaging the paint. After doing the minute hand, I decided I didn't like the fact that the metal was much thinner on one side compared to the other. I dug through my inventory and came up with a replacement. The replacement turned out pretty good.

July 28, 2012, 12:08
Bruce Stewart
Here is the finished restoration. Watch is triple signed and is quite accurate over a 24-hour period. The case is sterling silver and the movement is a 13L Rebberg.

July 29, 2012, 02:04
Lorne Wasylishen
Very nice work Bruce, you must have a pretty steady hand. Can you tell me what type of brush that is and what brand of paint you are using?
July 29, 2012, 10:13
Bruce Stewart
Lorne, here are some shots of the paint brand and brush. I bought everything at Michael's Craft Store. For this Rolex I tried to mix up a color that matched a small piece of radium that was still present in one of the hands. To arrive at the right hue, I mixed the raw sienna with some ivory.

July 29, 2012, 10:16
Bruce Stewart
Here is a close-up of the brush. I can't remember if it is synthetic or natural, but I'm pretty sure I stuck with synthetic when I bought it because of the paint being water-based. A natural bristle brush will tend to get "frizzy" when used in water. One other note, I am pretty sure this brush came out of a set of 5 or 6 brushes (much cheaper that way).

July 29, 2012, 10:17
Bruce Stewart
Here is a close-up of one of the paint bottles. When I went shopping for the paint, I didn't buy just one bottle...I bought each color that looked like old radium I have seen in the past. Even then, I still usually have to mix the paint a bit to arrive at just the right color. Hope this all helps Smile

July 29, 2012, 13:36
Phillip Sanchez
Bruce, great job.
July 29, 2012, 15:28
Bruce Stewart
Thanks Phil. Unfortunately, after doing the 3-hour project, my arthritic neck was killing me!!! Small price to pay, right? Wink
September 19, 2013, 14:41
Dave Turner
Just found this post that answers some questions to my previous post Eek
It's my understanding we're just going for color and not luminescence?

[Luimus paste]

Dave Turner