Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Isaiah Lukens Tower clock restoration "Click" to Login or Register

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Rently a restoration job came my way. This is a 1825 Lukens Tower clock #11 in Camden SC. It was removed from the town tower in the 50,s and then restored in 1981 by James Lamberton, NAWCC member. Mr. Lumberton et al fabricated a new pallet assembly with steel and is impossible to keep it in adjustment, thereby bringing the project of making new agate pallets.
Can any members give some wisdom on grinding the replacements with a diamond grinder? The one remaining pallet is damaged but can be duplicated.

Awaiting your suggestions. Thank You,

Moses Gingerich

broken Agate Pallet

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
If Interested in some photos here is a link to the Lukens 1825 Tower Clock in Camden SC.:
I hope you enjoy the details.
Lukens Tower Clock

Moe

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Hello, Moses.

Not sure if you ever resolved this problem, but I'll toss in my two cents worth of experience.

Any modern machine shop should be able to handle this type of work even on a small scale if you have the original for pattern work. Shops usually have a minimum time charge, but in the end, the work will be done. Just make sure up front that the shop has experience in diamond grinding.

Best of luck on the project.

Glenn

Posts: 11 | Location: Saline, Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 09, 2007