• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Watch INFO / Repair Needed "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello to all! This is my first post to this forum.

I would like to get some info about my family memorygift watch. Originally a gift from my great-grandfather. My great-grandfather gave this watch to my grandfather when he was born in year 1925. I think this clock is made in year 1909? After my grandfather died at age 36, this clock went to my father. One year ago I got it from him, when I married. Someday I hopefully can give this to my children as well. This watch aint workin or running. Any ideas what would be the cost to repair it? Any info about this illinois watch or the case would be very appreciative.

Here's more pictures

Watch back
Movement
Movement open
Movement closeup
Case serial
Movement Serial

IHC Life Member
posted
Jari -
Welcome to IHC185! Your watch is a moodel 5, grade 176, and one of 1600 made in this grade with 17 jewels. It is a very nice watch!

Without knowing what is wrong, a repair estimate is impossible, though.

Regards,
Bob

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Your watch is indeed from 1909 and is called a "getty" type movement. It is either a grade 174 or 176. If the serial no is 2151442 it is a grade 174 of which 15,670 were made. If the serial no is 2161442 it is a grade 176 of which 2,210 were made.

It appears to me to be a grade 176 with the 4 positions markings etc.

Your case does have a 14K marking on it. It could be a solid gold case, but I am not sure without seeing other case markings as should be on the other lid [back cover]. If it is solid 14K then the case value would be upwards of $600 as gold is at an all time high.

Your watch can be fixed and a ballpark estimate would be $75-175 depending if any parts are/will be required. There are a number of qualified repairman on site that can repair your watch.

If you would like to find a repairman here then click on the edit icon at the bottom right of your post. When it comes up you may change the title to read "Wanted Repairman to Fix" or something to that nature, since you now have the Illinois watch info you requested.

Hope that will steer you right!

regards,
bb

posted
Absolutely beautiful family heirloom. My fathers watch is of similar vintage; it sat around in drawers for many years and when wound would run. However recently it quit; that doesn't necessarily mean its "broken". It may only need "servicing" or as it often called COA (clean, oil, adjust). They used to use natural oils (some still do) to lubricate watches, through time they can harden or lubrication can be lost and the watch doesn't run properly or stops. You can pay $60 or up to 4 times that for a COA, depends on the watchmaker and if parts are needed. Very often in doing a COA they find other items that should be replaced. Since this is a family piece you hope to keep in the family it would be worthwhile to consider having it serviced.

There are many competent watchmakers and service technicians on IHC185 who can help. I'm sure some will contact you, never met anyone on this site who has not been of the highest integrity and desired to help. They will likely help you assess the watch in terms of issues; but as stated above no one can determine the cost without the item in hand, and even then its a professional guess (estimate).

Gary

posted
Thank you all so much!

I'm so happy that finally someone could define this watch. I will call to my dad tomorrow and tell him the good news.20-30 years ago my father tried to ask service on this watch at local jewellery shop here in Finland. They didn't know how to help him.

It could be that this watch needs only oiling and other basic repairing. One thing though that needs repairing is the dialing plate. Those cracks are so apparent. The serial is endeed 2161442 (double checked). and here's new photo of the lid back cover. Can someone trow a wild estimate how much this watch is worth.

Thanks again!

Warranted 14K US ASSAY serial on case 82537

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The new pictures shed a bit more light.

Your case is solid 14K and made by Keller & Untermeyer.

Your dial needs replacing and if one is patient you can find a double sunk one on the many market's in great shape for $125 or less. Your watch requires the 16sz dial with feet positions of; 24.5/36.5/55.5.

I would estimate that your watch has a value of $700-800 in the condition today. After a repair and a new dial I would say it's value would be $1000. Most of the value is in the solid 14K gold case.

regards,
bb

posted
Thanks for the info! Do you have any tips where I could possibly find that replacement dial? I didn't manage to find similar anywhere?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I have sent a PM to Jari;

I do have a dial for your watch. If you want to send it to me, I will have it repaired. The cost will be for the dial and repair on the movement and of course insured mailings to the Scandinavian Peninsula.

While the dial I have is a correct dial, Jari is looking for an exact replacement. So if you have one for him, you may want to contact him. Here is the reply I received from him;

------------------------------------------------

<<<Hello! Thank you for the offer! I think its easier for me not to send this watch to differend country. I will have it repaired in local service here in Finland! The dial that you offered is not identical on my watch. I'll have to think about your offer.

Best regards

Jari Viljakainen>>>
-------------------------------------------------

That's all that I can do, so good luck !

regards,
bb

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Buster.... You can only do so much and you have done a good job in steering him, the rest now is up to Jari....

We all wish him 'good luck' and hope nothing but success for him in his search for what he is looking for....

Regards,

Jerry

posted
To Buster Beck:

I truly appreciate your offer & info regarding this watch. I will try to have my watch movement serviced here in Finland. I hope you understand that sending this watch to different country is more difficult and riskier for me. I dont want it to get lost or damaged by Mail.

Currently my watch is on local service. After I get it back fully serviced (estimate repairing schedule 1-2 moths) I will consider bying the dial from you? Is the dial part original illinois? In the mean while I like to thank all the kind people on this forum to get me on track.

Best Regards

Jari Viljakainen

posted
Hello! Many months have passed... Im Glad to inform you, that I've got the watch serviced OK! Here's link to my Video. Thank you all for great help!

VIDEO ON SERVICED WATCH

Best of luck!

Jari Viljakainen