Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

19 jewel Bunn 60 HOUR set. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I have finally completed the full set of 19 jewel 60 Hour Bunn watches. It took me a little while and obtaining the Model II came at a price. But when you are so close to having it, and to pass not knowing when the chance will be there again, you just have to go for it. I just haven't seen a lot of these out there and that is probably becaus there were only about four thousand made of the all the models. But here they are: from left to right, the model I, III, II.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
.....and from the front.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
If anyone has some critisms as far as what may be non original I would love to hear from them. I do notice the gold whiplash on the Model I and wonder if that was original. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Steve,
All I can say is those 3 types together is just awesome. Congrats///// Smile
I wish I had just one of the 3 types Frown
Tony

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tony,
Thanks for your views. Actually a watch was handed down to me from my Father and it was his Fathers. For quite some time I thought it was a 19 jewel Bunn model. It wasn't until I one day acquired a 21 Jewel Bunn Special 60 HOUR Model I That I understood the meaning of the three different models. I was looking at my Grandfather's watch in the dome display on my computer desk that I just happened to decide to open the back and gaze at the movement. It was then I discovered the little "60" at the end of the Motor Barrel and realized what I had. From there the quest was on. It took about 6 months of checking every new Illinois ebay listing that came up and I bought every one that was listed. Actually, my grandfathers is not one that is shown. It is part of my collection but is not one I would even consider getting rid of. It will get passed onto a nephew some day. I have two sets of the 21 jewel models and only the model III of the 23 jewel model, but I am still working on that although the I and II may be hard to come by. This hobby can turn into a treasure hunt and can become quite addicting....I love it. Thanks again for your input....know of any 23 jewel Model I and II's out there?
Steve

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Steve,
I have in my collection all 3 types of the 21 jewel 60 hour bunn specials. It took many years to find a nice example of each type. I hope you will be able to find nice examples of the 23 jewel bunn specials.
Keep us updated on your progress///// Smile
Tony

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tony,
Thanks for words of encouragement. I will keep looking. I had a long phone conversation with Lindell earlier tonight and he pointed out something very interesting about one of the three watches shown from the front. Can you or any of the other members pick it out? I know I would never have spotted it but his sharp eye did. Feel free to see if you can spot what he did.
Steve

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Steve,
One of the dials is not seen very often. Smile
Tony

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
The montgomery dial in the middle is not a common dial. It is what I refer to as a big six-arrows in-flat top 3 dial. A dial just like the one on your watch sold for $496 in 2006 on ebay. A nice dial to have in your collection.
Tony

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tony,
Does this dial fall into the same category? It also has the large "6" and similar style of numbers but the "3" is not flat on top and it is an arrows out. What watch might this dial have come off off?
Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Steve,

Maybe I can help a little with this question.

There are a great many differences between the two dials in question. To help illustrate this more easily I have merged your two images into one below this message. Note your mid-1920s "Flat-Top-Fat-6" dial on the left has those features and the later 1928 and newer dial is essentially opposite in nearly every respect. The earlier dial has inward-pointing arrows at the 5-minute markers, the later dial outward-pointing arrows, the diameter of the seconds register is very different and it goes on and on from there. The more you look the more you'll see.

Your early example (left) was used on only a few watches and discontinued, whereas your later example (right) was used on many 1928 and later Bunn Specials including 161 and 163 models. Your later one is closely related to variants on the same theme shown at "The Five Illinois 161 and 163 Variant Dials" topic in this forum.

Lindell

Close comparison shows interesting differences in the dials...

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Lindell,
Thanks for your input once again. I did notice many of the diferences but I now see the differences in the size of the seconds sink. How about this next one? The same?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ran across this older post & it got me to looking at one of my Bunn Specials, is this the same eariler dial as Steve's?

After posting this I notice the 6 is different in mine, I guess they must have made several different styles.

Tom

Bunn Dial

IHC Life Member
posted
Steve,

Earlier in this thread you asked about the gold whip on your type I. I just picked up a Bunn Type I serial number 4598957 and it has a nickel whip on it. From reading your Bunn Story it looks like I have one of the 750 of this variation.