Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois "The Master" 16-size and 12-size Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

Could some one tell me what model these are from the serial numbers.
1. #4495542 16s 17j Adj. Marked "The Master" on the movement, the dial is marked "Illinois Master". It is in a Derby case.
2. #4897821 12s? 19j Adj. 3 Positions marked "Imperial" on the movement and on the dial.
Thanks for any help.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Keith

So far #1
4494001-4496000 16s pendant set open face 17 jewel model 7 grade 305 Illinois.

Tom

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Keith,
#2 is a 12 size 19 jewell Model 3 of which there were 5330 made in 7 runs. Yours was made in 1927 and is a grade 407. It was made in the second to last run which included 1000 serial numbers.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
4897001-4898000 12s pendant set 19 jewel open face model 3 grade 407. I wonder if Imperial was a private label.

Tom

IHC Member 48
posted
Picture of the Imperial

IHC Member 48
posted
Picture of the Master

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice looking watches Keith, I like the Imperial one the most, like that lettering color.

Tom

IHC Member 48
posted
Hi

Looking for a replacement dial for this watch.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Keith,

Here's a little more about your "Master" which as Tom pointed out is a 16-size Pendant-Set, Open-Face, 17-Jewel, Model 7, Grade 305 fron 1924 Production. Meggers notes on page 138 of the "Illinois Encyclopedia" that the 305 was their highest production 16-size medium production watches. But he further notes that "Many were Private Label marked. And he says the regular 305 unlike your watch had "Striped-Pattern" damaskeening.

From there we go a bit further, on page 247 of the same book we find a listing for "The Master" which indicates there were three models made, all during 1924 production. First, a 16-size 21-Jewel, Adjusted 3 Positions Grade 606, then a 16-size 17-Jewel, Adjusted Grade 305 like yours, and finally a 12-size 17-Jewel, Adjusted Grade 405 are listed without further comment. A picture of the 21-Jewel is shown on page 270 at the upper -right.

That is all the information I found, but my impression is of a Private-Label made for a specific jeweler of group of jewelers. If it were mine I would change nothing about it at this point, the watch looks to be very original, it may be unusual and although I recall seeing the name before I know nothing beyond what we reported here.

Perhaps someone else may have additional information.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 48
posted
Thanks Lin

Good to hear from you! I miss your posts. Glad you are feeling a little better. The power of the masses wishing you good health and recovery has pulled you through.

Keith

IHC Member 48
posted
Hi

Just picked up this 12s Illinois marked "The Master" 19j serial #4512500. This one will fit nicely with the 16s posted above.

Would you guys be so kind to look this number up. Please!

Thank you in advance.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Keith,

This one is a grade 406 manufactured in 1924. There were 92,140 made in 101 runs between 1913 and 1926.

Steve

IHC Member 48
posted
Hi

Found another Illinois 16s "The Master". This has the same style dial but only in a metal dial. Take a look.