WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Open to the World RESEARCH FORUMS  Hop To Forums  Illinois Watch Company Research Forum    Illinois 21j Bunn Special / circular two-tone damaskeening inlay
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois 21j Bunn Special / circular two-tone damaskeening inlay "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This Bunn Special is a piece that was handed down through the generations of my family. It was purchased by my great grandfather shortly after he moved to the Canadian prairies in approx 1905-07. I think it may have been used when he bought it, and from my research to this point, it appears to be from ~1902-03 or a bit earlier. I think it might be 18 series, but I'll leave that to someone else to tell me that. =)

I have seen the scanned lists of the various releases, but I'm not satisfied with any of the descriptions (and I know they're imperfect at times since they were compiled much later.) I guess what I'm wondering is if someone can help me nail down a production year, series and approx # produced based on ones you've seen here before. I won't ever sell it, but it's nice to know how rare or common it is.

Nothing on this watch has been upgraded or changed, and it has had only three owners in our family: my great grandfather, my grandfather, and myself (my grandpa had 4 girls, so he gave it to his eldest grandson instead of them. Harsh, huh?!?) The case is scuffed up and the dial is a bit chipped, from being used on a farm for a number of years, but has been "retired" from regular duty for decades now. My grandparents never looked into the history of it, which brings me here!

The s/n is 1597035, and as you can see, its main differentiating feature is the circular rose/copper (not gold by any logical stretch) damaskeening / inlay.

Oh, and the watch works perfectly! It needs to be wound once per day...not sure if that's a normal time. If not, please let me know. I am going to get it cleaned, and will want to let them know of any required maintenance when I do.

Thanks in advance! This forum is awesome!!!

Everett in Canada

Here is the movement!

posted
The dial from the watch above:

Here is the dial!

posted
I should mention that these photos are a bit "warm" and the movement is silver/nickel in colour, not gold as it appears here. Similarly, the circular inlay is copper/rose in colour, not gold.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Everett,

Your watch was made in 1901. It is a 18 size, Model 6, Bunn Special Grade and was produced in a run of 600. There were 18,566 of theses produced.

Ih has the Gold-inlaid circle (3rd) pattern demakeen finish on it with black filled engraving. It has Ruby jewels in gold settings, gold balance screws and a Patent regulator.

Steve