Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Legitimate Fahy's 181 case markings? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I found a Bunn Special online at vintage watch store. The watch has a Fahy's Model 181 case, but the font used to engrave "Bunn Special" is definitely not like the cursive font seen in all the other Bunn Special cases that I've seen.

Does this look like a legitimate case back? It looks to me like the area has been buffed out and the engraving was added later on.

Best Regards, Dan

Fahy's Model 181 case back

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The case signature looks OK to me Dan. Buffing the inside of the case back to remove watchmakers marks is a common practice and that's what we have here IMHO.

Perhaps someone can post a better picture, but here is a Case 181 signature that has the same block lettering as the example you posted.

Case 181 Signature+

IHC Life Member
posted
Cool, thanks Ed! I like to learn something new every day and this is one for today Wink

I previously thought the "Bunn Special" was always in the cursive script that is far more common.

Since I've opened up this can of worms, I also once saw a Star Model 118 case that was claimed to be an original Bunn Special as well, but without Bunn Special engraved in the case back. Do you know if this would be legitimate?

Best Regards, Dan

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The Case 118's bore just a plain Star Watch Case Co. signature. Here is a typical example:

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Ed!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

No question Daniel,

Your case is indeed the genuine article. As Ed correctly pointed out not all Bunn special cases had the trade-marked "Bunn Special" signature. By the way, the 181 came in both yellow and white-gold-filled. Below, see number 680140 from my own collection. Yours and mine being marked 10K gold-filled are yellow or "natural" gold which may at times may even have a "rosy" cast, whereas the white would bear 14K markings and they were a bit harder from a wear standpoint due to there being a nickel content in the mix. The white cases also cost an extra $5.00 in 1930 money, consider how much that really was at a time when men who could find employment often worked hard for a dollar a day! Anyhow, today since fewer white were sold they are a bit more difficult to find today as well. If anyone had a top condition 181 in white they might be willing to sell I am interested.

The 1930 factory advertised price of a 21-Jewel Bunn Special 60-Hour, 6 Position housed in a Model 181 finished in 10K natural gold-filled was $60.00 whereas the same watch in a 14K white 181 case commanded a hefty $65.00 price. The buyer could choose either the 181 or the Bunn Special "First Model" case and specify their choice of dials at the same pricing structure.

Lindell
Wink

Sometime the case markings will cause confusion...

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Lindell, Thank you for the additional information. To tell you the truth, learning about this type of very specific detail is a large part of the fun in collecting for me.

Best Regards, Dan

IHC Member 1324
posted
It seems all the Fayhs Model 181 were incorrectly stamped 14k and then restamped 10k. Everyone I see is this way. The two photo's in this forum are overstamped of the 14k changed to 10k. Has this been noticed before.

posted
Maybe not all Model 181 10K’s were re-strikes. Here’s one that looks like it started with an original 10K stamping.

J. C.

J. C. Petty

IHC Member 1324
posted
Thank you I just noticed that the one I had and the picture on here were restrikes. I thought is was strange. Thank you for taking the time to show me a non-restrike. I am always amazed at the knowledge and generocity of everyone on this site to be of assistance. Thank again!!!