Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Recently Inherited A. Lincoln pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello:
I recently inherited my late grandfather's Illinois Watch Company pocket watch. He was a conductor on the B&O Railroad in the 1930's thru 1950's. Although he passed away in May 1981, I was just given this pocket watch. I am curious as to it's value and status. The serial number on the movement is 2237478 and it is labeled A. Lincoln. There is another number on the inside of the back cover, 8787600. There is also numbers scratched into the metal on the inside of the back cover, H742M S641. There is a design on the back cover of what looks like a funeral urn with vines and flowers around it. The watch itself works perfectly but the design on the back is wearing away around the edges. Can someone tell me a little about this pocket watch? Value? History? Any info would be appreciated. My email addy is Jack94Formula@Yahoo.Com

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Jack

Welcome to our club, be careful of the watch bug is going to bite. You may already have the illness you are showing symptoms, asking questions about a watch.

Just kidding.

From your serial number your watch is a 16 size Illinois Model 5 21 jewel open face, lever set A. Lincoln. It would have been made in 1910.

It was adjusted to temperature, ischronism, and 5 positions. So definitely a railroad grade watch

The numbers you mention on the inside of the case back H742M S641, sound like a watchmakers marks that are placed there when the watch was serviced. Unfortunately those are not usually decipherable, each watchmaker used his own system.

I am sure other will be also adding more information.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Also Jack

As to value, the best indicator I have found of the current market value is to search Ebay for closed auctions & see what ones similar to yours sold for.

But you need to consider the condition, the dial on your watch, what your watch case is made of etc.

Tom

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Good evening & welcome Jack, nice of you drop in and say hello with your pocketwatch question, you have come to the right place....

The second number you listed, the one on the inside of the rear cover, is the serial number of the case and generally doesn't mean a lot except when one wants to make sure the case is original to the movement....

Any chance of you being able to post photos of the watch for us to look at....we generally can tell much more from a picture....

Tom gave you a lot of info based on the serial number you gave and according to the current edition of the 'COMPLETE PRICE GUIDE TO WATCHES' your watch, depending on condition, has a book value of between $225.00 & $500.00....That's why photos help so much....

By the way, you can get the new Price Guide when you join our club plus you will have full access to all forums in the club site....

By clicking this link:Join IHC185 and Receive New Price Guide You can do both and start your membership now or anytime at your convenience....

Thanks, again, for stopping by and if you can post some pic's it will provide us with much information....

Regards,
Jerry

posted
Thank you all for your replies and information. This watch means the world to me since I was raised by my grandfather who owned it. I will take pics of the watch and post as soon as I can locate my USB cable?!

Thank you all again.....

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Your welcome Jack, we look forward to seeing your photos.

Tom