Internet Horology Club 185
Is it just me or are there alot of Bunn Specials in Hamilton BOC cases? And why?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8881029912/m/4773952687

September 17, 2015, 22:49
William Schlueter
Is it just me or are there alot of Bunn Specials in Hamilton BOC cases? And why?
I am a huge fan of Illinois watches with emphasis on Bunn Special models. My question is why do I see so many late model 161's - 163A's in wadsworth B.O.C cases with hammy crowns. Ebay has several up now. Can these all be recased? Opions encouraged
Regards, Bill
September 18, 2015, 08:24
Dr. Debbie Irvine

William,

Check out these links…

"Hamilton Buys Illinois Watch Co." Announcement from 1928

This is what you expect to find...

THE USUAL ILLINOIS BUNN SPECIAL 21-JEWEL 60-HOUR IN ROSE ILLINOIS CASE

And finally, here is the direct answer to your question, read this entire story...

READ ALL OF THIS TOPIC: Late 161A movements with Hamilton-Style Cases & Dials Database

In the late 1940s Hamilton essentially "dumped" their excess inventory, the full story is very interesting.

Lindell put a further explanation of these unusual watches here...

WADSWORTH-HAMILTON CASE NUMBERS, History, Pictures of Cases and Database of Numbers

QUOTING LINDELL: "Finally, during 1948 some of the last new 21-Jewel Bunn Specials were marketed in leftover Number 3 Cases. For that reason if you find a late 161A Type II P Bunn Special housed in a Wadsworth-Hamilton Number 3 Case with no other screw marks please resist the temptation to re-case, you may have found an original combination. Click Late 161A's with Hamilton-Style Cases for more about these unusual Bunn Specials and what to look for."

Ed and Lindell tracked these for several years!

Debbie

Wink

September 18, 2015, 11:13
William Schlueter
Thank you