• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The Banker "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just was given a Illinois watch that my late father had. It has a open face and a hinged back. The works are marked 17j and "The Banker" is marked on the back of the movement. The serial number is 4286850 and I dated it to 1923. The case is stamped 14 karat gold filled. I do not have pictures of the watch to post because i sent it off before I had researched it or got pics. Sorry for the lack of information but anything info would would be great. thanks

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Steven,

Welcome to IHC185 on the occasion of your first posting.

According to the Illinois records your Grade 405 is listed as follows...

12-size, Pendant-Set, Open-Face, 17-Jewels, Model 3, Grade 405 from 1923 production.

On page 158 of his "Illinois Encyclopedia" the late Bill Meggers explains the 12-size Grade 405 was the highest production Illinois Grade with more than 400,000 total production. Most of those were marked as "The Autocrat" which was advertised extensively, but the 405 was also used for other markings and some private label watches. There were both Hunter and Open-Face in 17-Jewel, and interestingly numbers blocked for 21 and 23-Jewel versions. I found nothing comprehensive on how many or how few of the Grade 405 movements were marked as "The Banker" but perhaps someone else will have additional insights or information.

Lindell

Wink

posted
thank you very much for the information. I hope it cleans up and can be fixed. with any luck i can pass it on to my grand kids some day.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Steven,

There were many names given to this grade over the course of their production. Some of the names include Penn Special, Great Northern Special, Stewart Special, The Banker, R.R. Dispatcher Special, and a host of other names for jewelers and other watch companies. It makes me wonder if some of these were produced to reach out to a specific demographic trade such as yours to the banking business.

Steve

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Steven, I want to welcome you to IHC185 also and to commend you on your decision to join with us in searching for information on our watches of all makes, models and grades....

Your Illinois is listed in the Complete Price Guide to Watches, on page 284....It is listed as a 17 jewel movement adjusted to 3 positions and with an open face....

I'm sure it is a nice watch and one you will want to pass on to your children as well....

Good luck and when you do get it back, we sure want to see photos of it....

Thanks for bringing this info to us at IHC185....

Regards,
Jerry

posted
Thank you all for the information and warm welcom. I recieved word from the maker fixing the watch. He said the works were in very good shape and should clean up well. He also stated it had a double bridge movement. I am new to this and was wondering what it was. Also what would be some good reference books for me to look at for the future. I was going to go and try our local library first and see if i could check some out before buying them.
thanks again steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I think what your watch maker might be referring to is talked about on this post;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...491003223#3491003223

Illinois made two similar looking bridge arrangements, one with a true bridge & one false.

Tom

IHC Member 1016
posted
Steven, Be very careful with this stuff. I got my Dad's pocket watch and started just looking at this work of engineering marvel. Now I have over 60 of them and can't seem to shake the habit! Welcome

Mike