Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Special 21 Jewel Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
When I first got into pocket watches and really didn't know what I was doing, I decided to buy a Bunn Special for my husband. I still don't know much about railroad watches other that to be "correct" there are certain cases/dials/hands to go with certain movements. Please tell me what may be correct and what is not on this watch. I believe this is a model 14, rayed 4th pattern, DR, 6 position, serial #4660032. I am fairly certain the case is not right. It's a Star Watch Case Co Stellar. The watch guide doesn't show this one. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks!

posted
movement....

posted
case....

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Mary Ann,

That is a nice looking watch you have there. I wouldn't be to concerned about the case, as a matter of fact it may very well be original to the watch. There are no other case screw marks in and not all of those came from the factory cased. Many were still sold as movements then and the jewelers placed them into cases the customers picked out.

The dial looks to be correct as it is the arrows in variety which were soon to be phased out by the arrows out dial a couple of years later. Also the hands look to be correct as well.

It appears you have a very original looking 21 jewel Bunn Special there.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mary Ann

I agree with Steve that it is a nice looking Bunn, they are my favorite watch. I think the case is a replacement, it has the two notches cut for levers.

Tom

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Tom, I have often wondered since I really only collect Illinois, what watches have the lever near the 11:00 position? The notches seem to be cut out to nicely to have been filed so I have often wondered if these were like a universal case the jewelers stocked.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Steve

One of the watches that had the 11:00 lever were Walthams. I am not sure when they started making the cases with the notch at both positions but I was thinking I had seen on other post on this site that it was sometime in the 50's or 60's but I am not positive on that info.

Tom

posted
Thank you, Steve and Tom, for your thoughts. I guess I did pretty good on this one! Must have been beginner's luck.